anxiety with mask clearing and oral bc inflation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasdivechick

Contributor
Reaction score
Texas, but about to move to waterless Shreveport f
# of dives
100 - 199
I just had my first confined dives and I am disappointed in my performance. I studied many scuba books, read many scuba diving threads, and feel completely comfortable in deep water when snorkeling. I really, really want to learn how to scuba dive and I want to learn all these skills so that I can be prepared and be a good buddy. I didn't count on having so much difficulty with two of the most important skills. First, when I had to clear my mask on the first night, I panicked, breathed in a lungfull of water, shot to the surface, and had a difficult time with this the rest of the night. Also, I forgot to press the button on the bc when I had to orally inflate under water, then couldn't find my reg, panicked, and had to be "rescued" by my instructor. I am in a private class, with a dive trip to Bonaire already paid for. My instructor has informed me that he will not pass me if I cannot learn the skills (rightly so) and I am supposed to have my OW dives this weekend in cold water with low vis. How can I overcome my anxiety and prepare myself for the inevitable skill requirements of mask retrieval/ clearing and bc inflation.

You probably just need more time in the pool. It is not unusual to have trouble when first learning. The skills are not difficult; it just takes practice. That is the only way to improve.

Stay calm, keep at it, you will get it. It is like riding a bicycle... difficult and awkward at first, then it comes. It will get easier. You are not alone. When i got certified, my girlfriend had very similar issues to what you have described. (Even the part with the instructor telling her he couldn't pass her with out demonstration of the skills) It was tedious and difficult for her, but she stuck with it, and passed. The point is, don't get discouraged. You will get it.
Good luck from the chilly north.

Your a little anxious to perform well. just relax, before attempting a skill visualize it first. theres no hurry. I think after your difficulty with the first attempt at mask clearing you had that thought in your mind when you attempted to oraly inflate your BC.
I usually ask students who have difficulty clearing their mask to practice just exhaling through their nose first on the surface then underwater. when your comfortable there. then I'll ask you to add water to your mask and clear it.
Most students who have difficulty clearing a mask exhale through their mouths rather than their nose.
Just inhale through the reg and exhale through your nose. sounds easy but takes a little thought for some.

Most importantly RELAX, have fun. you will get it.

:14: First, take a deep breath and tranquillo...

You will pass. Do you know how I know? It's because I also had trouble with mask clearing. I think a lot of people have trouble with this. The whole idea of bearing your face under water, thinking about getting water up your nose and your eyes somehow falling out is a difficult fear to overcome.

But you CAN do it! Because you want to scuba dive, and you have the fierce desire to keep going in the face of adversity, you will succeed. :)

As for a general pointer, take the PADI mantra and stop, think, act. While you are kneeling, and your mask is full of water, concentrate on your breathing. Breathe a time or two, thinking about inhaling and exhaling from your mouth. Take a breath, exhale through your nose, look up, lift your mask, put it down, keep exhaling, then stop. Reassess. Breath another cycle or two, then Rinse lather repeat, so to speak.

If you think of each step in a clockwork motion, moving like a clock--click, click, click--, without rushing, you will do fine.

I often couldn't clear the first time, so I would do a 'just a second' (index finger in '1' to my instructor), breathe one cycle to reassess, then repeat. Just kept settled down.

You can do it!!!

By the way tell us how your Belize diving gets along. I've heard it's lovely!

Prodiver_ca:
Your a little anxious to perform well. just relax, before attempting a skill visualize it first. theres no hurry. I think after your difficulty with the first attempt at mask clearing you had that thought in your mind when you attempted to oraly inflate your BC.
I usually ask students who have difficulty clearing their mask to practice just exhaling through their nose first on the surface then underwater. when your comfortable there. then I'll ask you to add water to your mask and clear it.
Most students who have difficulty clearing a mask exhale through their mouths rather than their nose.
Just inhale through the reg and exhale through your nose. sounds easy but takes a little thought for some.

Most importantly RELAX, have fun. you will get it.

"Just inhale through the reg and exhale through your nose."

This is really excellent advice. Everyone has given you good advice. Normally, I don't give skill advice, because there are clearly others far more qualified to do so. However, I do agree with the others here that you probably need to relax. I was quite nervous myself in the beginning and I actually talked myself into relaxing in the swimming pool by telling myself that it was only the pool and I was only feet away from the surface. I can remember thinking- "what is going to happen to me in this swimming pool?" I realize that this isn't the best way to think when in the ocean, but all I needed at that time was to relax myself enough so that I could learn those skills and become comfortable enough doing them. Once relaxed, I was able to learn them quite easily, and by the time I was in the cold ocean with poor visibility, those tasks weren't frightening at all and I didn't need to give myself a pep talk. Relax.

Don't forget that many people had a stumbling block or two on the way to becoming successful divers. There are some good tips in this thread.

On thing I would add: try to work out _why_ something bothers you, then discuss that aspect with your instructor. Perhaps they have some tips or skills that you can work to make it easier.

If you haven't snorkeled before, go ahead and do so. Nothing beats getting comfortable breathing with your face in the water, breathing through something in your mouth as far as practice goes. Perhaps even let some water into the mask while snorkeling (you'll be at the surface after all) and just make sure you are ok with it.

Best of luck :)

Bjorn

no worries mate(ette)... you'll get through it....

on the mask clearing there are a number of 'tricks' you can try..... not in any specificic order, just try a few and see which one works for you.

while standing waist deep in water, put your face in the water. you didn't panick then did ya? see? it's not so hard.... simple, but it's the principle of water hitting your face and freakin' that's 'getting' to you. simple but effective. do the same thing but while breathing on your regulator. this way you'll remember to breath through your regulator and NOT your nose!

in the waist deep water, drop to your knees with your mask on. you should now be about eye level in the water. be breathing on your regulator. put a LITTLE bit of water in your mask, don't fill it or remove it, just put a little bit in. see, you didn't panick did ya? you're getting better! put a little bit more water in, maybe just below eye level. keep putting water in a little at a time and keep breathing on your regulator until your mask is FULL. still didn't panick didya! the next step is to just remove your mask and your golden.

if you feel the impulse to 'try' and breath through your nose, just pinch your nose!

on the BC inflate, it's simply a MOTOR RETENTION SKILL. repeat over and over again, even while your dry standing on the pool deck.

press button, blow, release button, repeat.

the biggest thing to remember is WHERE you put your regulator! nobody said you had to toss it or flip it away... heck, keep it in your right hand as you press the button to inflate the BC with your left hand!

remember, for either of these (or any) skills it's NOT a race. make sure you are comfortable before starting any of them, do them slowly and purposefully an think about each step.

doing (both skills) a few times will build your confidence and your anxiety will melt away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom