anxiety with mask clearing and oral bc inflation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Without a doubt this is one of the worst skills to learn. I hated it when I got certified, and I still hate it. Whenever the water would hit my face, I'd freeze and not be able to breathe through my reg. When I finally thought about and took that first breath, I'd always end up with hiccups/burps as I did it. The only way I'd recommend getting through it is with dogged perseverance, and once you've done your OW/AOW, jump back into the pool like I did and practice it till you're fine with it.

flstarfish44:
I am actually in the process of getting certified myself! I am okay with the mask-clearing skill, but I swear, if "I Love Lucy" had ever had an episode where Lucy learned to scuba dive, that would have been what I looked like. So, I'm actually glad to see other people had a bit of anxiety too! I thought I was the only one, and was feeling so embarrassed. It's comforting to see others had to get used to the new equipment/breathing/skills too!! :)

P.S. This is an awesome Board. I've learned SO much in the past couple of days!!!

:rofl3: Laughing with you...and at me too! It describes my class experience perfectly!

I just began doing my OW and I am going to get my certification on April 28/29th. I had problems clearing my mask too, but now it is really no problem. I had the most anxiety while doing my oral inflation of my BC. I am still not comfortable doing this as I took in a mouth full of water. Once I surfaced I cheated and inflated it the rest of the way automatically. But I think a lot of my anxiety came from the fact that I was overweighted and I had a mouth full of water. I am nervous about trying this in my open water certification......but it definatly has helped to read this thread. My nerves are calmer!!!

Just got back from diving the Florida Springs this weekend and I'm happy to say that I completely removed my mask and put it back on THREE times! This was at the location where I first went with my OW class and I remember how nervous I was even entering the water and having to descend. I was SO glad there was a rope to hold onto for that class. This weekend, I also practiced my air-share and buddy ascent a couple of times. I no longer have to hold onto a rope to descend or ascend. These are MAJOR accomplishments for me so I know you can all do it if you keep practicing. I'm really thankful to my buddies for helping me along. They could have been off doing their own thing but were willing to help me with my skills. All four people I was with this weekend (Bill from SC, Jean and Ron from this board, and Mark) taught me so much. I even learned how to use that dang computer for something other than reading my air pressure. Divers are such great people! :10:

Which spring Stephi? It sounds like you are gaining confidence and comfort. Mentors are a wonderful thing.

Pete

spectrum:
Which spring Stephi? It sounds like you are gaining confidence and comfort. Mentors are a wonderful thing.

Pete

We went to Blue Grotto on Friday and Troy Springs on Saturday. You're right...I've got some really great buddies to help me do this. I didn't mention my first buddy, DaleHall, because he wasn't on this trip with me, but I think if not for him, I would have taken my OW class and then quit because I didn't have anyone to dive with. My first dives after Cert were with Dale and I basically just followed along and did whatever he did. It gave me some confidence to venture out on my own a little and now I'm starting to meet new people and finding great dive buddies. It's really a great thing!

Stephi you did great on your skills, I think you under estamate yourself and skills, you are a good diver, and was glad to have you as a buddy, and trust you with that.
Shannonjon you just have to build some confidence, and get confortable underwater, relax, you know the steps, take your time, before you do the task think about what you have to do, relax, it's not timed, and it will come with some practice. And always remember, I have Air, the reg is in my mouth, I'm OK.

Reefraff2:
Stephi you did great on your skills, I think you under estamate yourself and skills, you are a good diver, and was glad to have you as a buddy, and trust you with that.
Shannonjon you just have to build some confidence, and get confortable underwater, relax, you know the steps, take your time, before you do the task think about what you have to do, relax, it's not timed, and it will come with some practice. And always remember, I have Air, the reg is in my mouth, I'm OK.

People--bless his heart--Reefraff2 spent ALL day Saturday working with me on my skills. You don't find many divers other than paid instructors who are willing to do that. Thanks buddy!

I just read your post.
First, try to identify what is leading you to the anxiety.
Also, practice.. You can do it.. It sounds like you have the heart for diving.
I'm willing to bet that you'll be a great diver. Perhaps like myself, I'm a little slow
to learn, but once I get into the groove, I take off.
We all have apprehensions, I have it. How I over come it is through experience.
Sometimes planned, sometimes not.
As an Instructor, Try some of these techniques to see if they help.

First, while standing and without a mask, place the regulator in your mouth and breath through it, get use to the feeling. When ready, stick your face in the water, still breathing through your regulator. it may help to tilt your head so the bubble do not
go up your nose. Inhale through the regulator and out your nose. When you are ready, with the mask on, repeat the process until you feel comfortable. OK, the next
step, while kneeling underwater, slowly let the water into your mask. Using a finger to crack the seal, slowly allow the water to enter the mask. If you need to stop, do so, then continue flooding when ready. When comfortable with the flooded mask on and breathing, remove the mask.. You have alreadybeen breathing with it on and flooded, now you'll be breathing with out it.. Remember to tilt your head to prevent those bubbles from entering into your nostrils. When ready, replace the mask and clear.

As for the inflator button, I bet you may have been using equipment you were not quite familiar with. That the importance of owning your own equipment.

Remember to Stop, Think then Act. It's not how fast you do it, it's knowing how to do it. With enough practice, you will become more fluid. The "muscle Memory" will kick in and it will begin to feel natural, second nature.

Good luck, let us know how you're doing...

Cheers,
Lars

Back
Top Bottom