Anxiety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would compare the anxiety to when I've jumped out of planes (not the sanest thing in the world). In the beginning before I gained confidence in my skills and equipement if I looked down prior to leaving the door it was HARD!! So I would either follow the person in front of me or watch the horizon. Also, don't think about the drop prior to stepping off. Concentrate on your equipment, skills, what you are supposed to do when you first enter the water, what to do when descending and enter the water. This not only makes these become second nature allowing you to become a safer diver, it also improves your skills and confidence. And, by the time you look around you're at 40' again. These are just different ideas from what your instructor did.

You guys are GREAT!

I guess you guys are right, it's a confidence thing, which is why my instructor wants to do a shallow wreck and shallow reef this Saturday.

I am NOT giving up... I enjoy being there... AND YES, it REALLY is hard to adapt to breathing under water.

Diving really is 90% mental and BOY when I get something in my head... it doesn't go ANYWHERE!!!!

I used to get nervous as I would set my gear up and lets not even mention when it was time to put my mask on... NOW I can't wait to dive off!!! Feel that rush!

THANKS AGAIN

Never be afraid to terminate a dive if you do not feel that you are "into" doing the dive. Cave divers have a saying that any diver can call any dive for any reason. I think that applies to any dive environment.

Excellent reference to cave diving and it works for any environment.

I can relate to this experience from a dive that I did in NY. (Port Jeff Area) The viz was very low and my buddy and I started the descent but about 10' down, I didn't like it and thumbed it. We surfaced and did a surface swim to water that was shallow enough to stand up in and made a gradual descent using the bottom contour as a reference. My buddy was fine with either descent but I preferred the gradual one.

Once I had done the gradual descent dive, I was able to go back and do 4 more dives by just dropping down from the surface without any issues.

Amy, at the time, I was already an instructor and cave diver with over 1000 dives!

We will have plenty of time this Saturday on the shallow dives to practice a couple of descents/ascents with a reference line, without a reference line, monitoring your gauge, monitoring your buddy and some touch contact drills (in case of loss of Viz or loss of mask).

Fun, Fun, Fun!

How did you know my name????:blinking:

See you Saturday.....

THANKS for your pateince!

I can relate to this experience from a dive that I did in NY. (Port Jeff Area) The viz was very low and my buddy and I started the descent but about 10' down, I didn't like it and thumbed it. We surfaced and did a surface swim to water that was shallow enough to stand up in and made a gradual descent using the bottom contour as a reference. My buddy was fine with either descent but I preferred the gradual one.

Once I had done the gradual descent dive, I was able to go back and do 4 more dives by just dropping down from the surface without any issues.

Amy, at the time, I was already an instructor and cave diver with over 1000 dives!

We will have plenty of time this Saturday on the shallow dives to practice a couple of descents/ascents with a reference line, without a reference line, monitoring your gauge, monitoring your buddy and some touch contact drills (in case of loss of Viz or loss of mask).

Fun, Fun, Fun!

Fun, Fun, Fun!

Thank you Will. Cave diving and the WONDERFUL education that I received during my training is always an aspect of every type of dive that I do. Absolutely invaluable. I remember calling many dives when we dove together because I just did not feel right or was entering into a section I had never dove before. Thank you for your patience :) Great to see you again and we still need to go diving together again.

I hope all is well.

....We will have plenty of time this Saturday on the shallow dives to practice a couple of descents/ascents with a reference line, without a reference line, monitoring your gauge, monitoring your buddy and some touch contact drills (in case of loss of Viz or loss of mask).

Fun, Fun, Fun!

I just really appreaciate it when a seasoned diver takes the time and effort to mentor new divers. The Scuba community needs more guys like you!

Good topic that is not discussed much, and a lot of great responces. Two thumbs up.

To amerz: Just some more encouragement:

I still get the feeling you describe from time-to-time, sometimes for no apparent reason, and I'm approaching 800 dives. So hang in there, relax, and remember to "just breath" :D , it gets better and should always be FUN!

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom