Any Feedback on the OUROBOROS??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jptrealty

Contributor
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has anything to say about this new unit? I am asking for an opinion so please don't hold back.

Thanks All

jptrealty:
Just wondering if anyone has anything to say about this new unit? I am asking for an opinion so please don't hold back.

Thanks All
We went to Divetech's/Innerspace event in May 2005 in the Cayman Islands. All the CCR manufactures were there letting CCR divers tryout their units along with nightly seminars. The Ouroboros was the best (every aspect) of all the Techincal CCR units, but came with the most expensive price tags. The manufacture sold 3 units during the weeks event. The CCR unit that was the biggest hit at the event was the new KISS, but is considered a recreational unit to 200 feet. It is simple to setup and use and comes with a affordable price tag, especially for a husband and wife on a budget.

jptrealty:

Thanks All

I am not certified to dive a rebreather and have never had any first hand experience with them.

That being said, it looks like a really nice unit but -very- expensive (like CIS Lunar expensive). Here are some links you might find helpful:

http://www.tmishop.com/Ouroboros.htm

http://www.ccrtechnologies.co.uk

-- Matt

John, French cave explorer Dr. Jerome Meynie dove the Ouroboros to 182 msw/597 fsw in Saint Sauveur, France.
The report of the 2005 Expedition is on his website, snoopyloop.com .
While it's mostly about the cave diving end of it, he also details a problem he encountered with the rig.

Before getting the Ouroboros this spring, he used a MK15.5 for the deep cave penetrations.
He promised an evaluation once he's done some more diving.

Matt, I'm sure the Cis-Lunar was on Kevin Gurr's mind as he dove with a MK4, and so was likely the MK15.5.

The Ouroboros shares several features with the Cis, gas management options like gas path selectors and offboard gas connectors, integrated electronic pressure displays, HUD (incl. deco) and buddy display, radial cannister and yes, the YouRobUs price tag.

Biggest difference is that the Cis had the hydrophobic scrubber, BOV, three controllers in two locations, 5 batteries and had the option to accomodate two offboard gas sources into the electronic displays.

caveseeker7:
John, French cave explorer Dr. Jerome Meynie dove the Ouroboros to 182 msw/597 fsw in Saint Sauveur, France.
The report of the 2005 Expedition is on his website, snoopyloop.com .
While it's mostly about the cave diving end of it, he also details a problem he encountered with the rig.

Before getting the Ouroboros this spring, he used a MK15.5 for the deep cave penetrations.
He promised an evaluation once he's done some more diving.

Matt, I'm sure the Cis-Lunar was on Kevin Gurr's mind as he dove with a MK4, and so was likely the MK15.5.

The Ouroboros shares several features with the Cis, gas management options like gas path selectors and offboard gas connectors, integrated electronic pressure displays, HUD (incl. deco) and buddy display, radial cannister and yes, the YouRobUs price tag.

Biggest difference is that the Cis had the hydrophobic scrubber, BOV, three controllers in two locations, 5 batteries and had the option to accomodate two offboard gas sources into the electronic displays.

Thanks, the problem seemed to be diver error though, a cap being left loose. I am under the impression that a hydro scrubber is avail or will be soon for use with Lith.

Cheers

really nice but very pricy, if i had the money i would get one. But, i ordered a Meg insted.

jptrealty:
Thanks, the problem seemed to be diver error though, a cap being left loose. I am under the impression that a hydro scrubber is avail or will be soon for use with Lith.
Yes, no doubt, a loose connection isn't the rig's fault. Good to see it was able to function with it, though.

Haven't heard anything about a hydrophobic Ouroboros scrubber. WOB would lkely be way past anything CE-able, and of course scrubbing capacity would be much reduced due to the extra space taken up by the membranes. The former means that the manufacturer can't sell the scrubber within the EC, the latter that the duration (which isn't that good considering the size, weight and price of the rig) might be too limiting for the purpose of the unit. It's supposed to be an expedition rebreather.

ISC is working on the copy of the Cis cannister that fits the Meg.
scrubbers.jpg

If you look at the size of it and realize that it only holds about 5 lbs of Sodasorb you get an idea of the space requirements for the membranes. The stock cannister (on the spacer next to it) holds 5.5 lbs, the PRISM basket on the right is the old 5.4 lbs version.

And all you got then is protection from caustic cocktail and ability to use the nast LiOH. For full recovery you still need a way to drain the entire loop of water.

caveseeker7:
Yes, no doubt, a loose connection isn't the rig's fault. Good to see it was able to function with it, though.

Haven't heard anything about a hydrophobic Ouroboros scrubber. WOB would lkely be way past anything CE-able, and of course scrubbing capacity would be much reduced due to the extra space taken up by the membranes. The former means that the manufacturer can't sell the scrubber within the EC, the latter that the duration (which isn't that good considering the size, weight and price of the rig) might be too limiting for the purpose of the unit. It's supposed to be an expedition rebreather.

ISC is working on the copy of the Cis cannister that fits the Meg.
scrubbers.jpg

If you look at the size of it and realize that it only holds about 5 lbs of Sodasorb you get an idea of the space requirements for the membranes. The stock cannister (on the spacer next to it) holds 5.5 lbs, the PRISM basket on the right is the old 5.4 lbs version.

And all you got then is protection from caustic cocktail and ability to use the nast LiOH. For full recovery you still need a way to drain the entire loop of water.

Good points (wob) , we'll have to wait and see what happens, a copuple of theings:

1) PRISM has improved the scrubber they had??

2) I think I am getting very close to pulling the trigger on one though, a cis would be nice if ther was a way to service them and make several minor modifications (mech. and software)

Caver95:
really nice but very pricy, if i had the money i would get one. But, i ordered a Meg insted.

The meg is a great unit, you will be very happy with that choice, how did you get it configured??

jptrealty:
1) PRISM has improved the scrubber they had??
Steam Machines increased the scrubber size from 5.4 lbs to 6.0 lbs capacity in order to meet the USN's 300 minute duration requirement. They also made the lid a few mm wider to prevent users who don't pay attention from inserting it the wrong way.

2) ... a cis would be nice if ther was a way to service them and make several minor modifications (mech. and software)
The MK-5p his huge (both size and weight), expensive to maintain and ... let's say inconvenient to set up. Unless you have a partcular need for one you're probably better off without it. There is a reason a bunch of the MK-5p divers have either added Megs to their dive lockers or just got rid of their Cis-Lunars.

Mind you, I would love to have one, it's a solid number four on my list. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom