Any general tips for first time liveaboard trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another great idea! You keep having great ideas! Now, do these stickers work on wetsuits? I'm guessing not...and marker will probably be better for wetsuits?

Update: Looks like @scbaNE2179 answered my question!
For wetsuits or anything that has fabric on it, I use this. Don't even bother with the stickers with anything that has a rubber coating on it, it just won't stick!

@outofofficebrb, are these the 3M stickers you are referring to? If so, I have these on some of my gear as well! Although it only sticks to hard surfaces-rubber and cloth based-not so much!

Yes! Those are it. Make sure you clean the area with alcohol and allow it to dry completely first. It works well on my fins, but not nearly as well as dive computers and smoother surfaces that don't get scuffed. I've had to replace the stickers on my fins once in about 60 dives so far. Everything else is still going strong.

Another great idea! You keep having great ideas! Now, do these stickers work on wetsuits? I'm guessing not...and marker will probably be better for wetsuits?

Update: Looks like @scbaNE2179 answered my question!

They *kind of* do work on wetsuits. Get these https://www.amazon.com/ZippTags-com...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QQV2V1YMKQ3GAE25C4HS with the stickers that @scbaNE2179 linked to. They are sold by the same seller. They work together PERFECTLY. If you want to get the embroidered leash pulls, YourBagTag has YourZipTag™ Wetsuit Zipper Pull . I got my custom emergency tag from them - you can contact them to make your own size/shape, information, etc. Aluminum Scuba Equipment ID Tag - 2 inch - 2 Sided

I got more than what they allow on the lines so made it slightly bigger. I included name, DOB, allergies to medication, (if you know bloodtype, that might also be good), emergency contact, DAN insurance #, etc.

Yes! Those are it. Make sure you clean the area with alcohol and allow it to dry completely first. It works well on my fins, but not nearly as well as dive computers and smoother surfaces that don't get scuffed. I've had to replace the stickers on my fins once in about 60 dives so far. Everything else is still going strong.

They *kind of* do work on wetsuits. Get these https://www.amazon.com/ZippTags-com...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QQV2V1YMKQ3GAE25C4HS with the stickers that @scbaNE2179 linked to. They are sold by the same seller. They work together PERFECTLY. If you want to get the embroidered leash pulls, YourBagTag has YourZipTag™ Wetsuit Zipper Pull . I got my custom emergency tag from them - you can contact them to make your own size/shape, information, etc. Aluminum Scuba Equipment ID Tag - 2 inch - 2 Sided

I got more than what they allow on the lines so made it slightly bigger. I included name, DOB, allergies to medication, (if you know bloodtype, that might also be good), emergency contact, DAN insurance #, etc.
If any shmuck tries to walk away with such a large wetsuit, I'm sure a tackle would be in order. I just use the fabric marker for my wetsuit and fabric stuff.

Thanks @outofofficebrb and @scbaNE2179

This is all very reminiscent of kindergarten, but I guess if it works...it works! :D
This may not be necessary but I sometimes will bring a giant bag of candy with me to share with guests and crew. Having been on livaboards, I DO NOT TRUST some of the sweets offered on the vessel. Like what if I get a hankering for some swedish fish or dark chocolate kit-kat?

I'm off on my fist liveaboard next Feb (Red Sea) and so have been browsing this thread for hints. Early on there was a suggestion to take "lycra socks", which I thought I should follow. However, while searching online for lycra socks gives many hits on US sites, there is nothing similar on European sites (amazon, various scuba shops etc). So a couple pof questions :
- Can I just get any regular nylon or "cotton rich" socks for this?
- DO I actually need them? It just occurred to me that this advice is really for full foot fins on (otherwise) bare feet. I wear hard sole wetsuit boots and spring strap fins ... so am I actually searching for something I don't need?

Thanks

I'm off on my fist liveaboard next Feb (Red Sea) and so have been browsing this thread for hints. Early on there was a suggestion to take "lycra socks", which I thought I should follow. However, while searching online for lycra socks gives many hits on US sites, there is nothing similar on European sites (amazon, various scuba shops etc). So a couple pof questions :
- Can I just get any regular nylon or "cotton rich" socks for this?
- DO I actually need them? It just occurred to me that this advice is really for full foot fins on (otherwise) bare feet. I wear hard sole wetsuit boots and spring strap fins ... so am I actually searching for something I don't need?

Thanks

I like the XS Scuba ones but wear them inside out because of the stitch seam. I’ve had mine for 120 dives so far and they’re still going strong. I use boots in open heel fins with spring straps and still use them. I wouldn’t go without. It’s still possible to get blisters without them even though they aren’t full foot fins. I also like that it makes getting into wet wetsuits, especially on a moving boat on a liveaboard, much easier. Your feet go in easier and don’t resist as much. :)

The XS Scuba ones were exactly the ones I first looked at, but cannot find them on any European based site (apart from at ridiculously expensive prices). The closest I find are the Cressi fin socks - Fin Socks
Would these be the same/similar?
Just noticed they are not in stock on that site ... why do these seem to be only available in US?

Last edited:
The XS Scuba ones were exactly the ones I first looked at, but cannot find them on any European based site (apart from at ridiculously expensive prices). The closest I find are the Cressi fin socks - Fin Socks
Would these be the same/similar?
Just noticed they are not in stock on that site ... why do these seem to be only available in US?

If you get desperate, I am more than happy to help with getting a pair to you. I can be trusted though I’m sure all sketchy and creepy people say that :D

They are one size fits (hopefully) most.

Edited to add: I am neither sketchy or creepy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom