Any general tips for first time liveaboard trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They should make snoring questions part of the application process for liveaboards.

A good nights sleep makes a difference!

On my first ever livaboard on the Aquacat, I found out that my roomate wears one of those c-pap machines because of his excessive snoring. I immediately asked for a room switch there after and got a my own cabin!
CPAP machines stop snoring. I would think a bunkie with a CPAP would be far superior to one without if they are middle aged men.

You ever sleep next to somebody with a CPAP?

It's like being a copilot in a fighter jet.

"Alpha Bravo to Sleeping JackRabbit course change approved please vector to the guest room"

I use one. My wife says it's a lot better than the snoring.

A CPAP definitely beats snoring. Even with the rushing of air around the mask. My mistake was making fun of my girlfriend one too many times when she was using it and speaking to her in Air Force jargon. Now she went from relatively quiet fighter pilot to "I don't give a crap if you can't sleep if you don't like it there's the door".

On my first ever trip on Blackbeards, I was on the top bunk and dude on the bottom, every night at 3am, it sounded like a hippo with asthma. I swear this snoring would make the dead hush this m-fer. We were on the bow section of the bunks, and even the stern bunks heard this snoring. So every night I prepared a sock full of nickels just in case.

You ever sleep next to somebody with a CPAP?

It's like being a copilot in a fighter jet.

"Alpha Bravo to Sleeping JackRabbit course change approved please vector to the guest room"

This problem might be fixable: My husband's 2nd machine is vastly more quiet than the old one.

But back on topic - this thread's OP is travelling with her boyfriend so luck of the draw in getting a random roommate luck is not a problem for her. Earplugs were noted long ago, good also for engine/compressor noise.

A permanent marker is useful too, and auto supply stores can sell you a white paint pen/tire marker for writing on black items. On the last trip one fellow and I accidently exchanged masks in the rinse tank - amazing luck that we had very similar corrective lenses so neither suffered a dive while 1/2 blind. Stupid mistake, now I keep my mask better marked. You also get handed your fins faster if you name is very visibly marked. Short name, initials or something else like a smiley face that makes your gear more distinctive.

Last edited:
This problem might be fixable: My husband's 2nd machine is vastly more quiet than the old one.

But back on topic - this thread's OP is travelling with her boyfriend so luck of the draw in getting a random roommate luck is not a problem for her. Earplugs were noted long ago, good also for engine/compressor noise.

A permanent marker is useful too, and auto supply stores can sell you a white paint pen/tire marker for writing on black items. On the last trip one fellow and I accidently exchanged masks in the rinse tank - amazing luck that we had very similar corrective lenses so neither suffered a dive while 1/2 blind. Stupid mistake, now I keep my mask better marked. You also get handed your fins faster if you name is very visibly marked. Short name, initials or something else like a smiley face that makes your gear more distinctive.

I had cabin 2 recently (across from 1) and we were at the bow of the ship in the hull. Anchor going down every morning woke everyone up......except me. :wink:

Excellent point about marking the gear. I use 3M custom dive stickers and have them on all my gear - fins, regs, wetsuit zipper pull, dive computers, battery chargers, etc. I also have an emergency info tag with the same sticker on the back. It's always quick for the crew to know which ones are mine. It's simply my e-mail address with full name in it. I have yet to mix my gear with anyone else's, too. I have some popular fins (Mares Avanti Quattro +) so it has helped immensely. You can also embroider your neoprene mask strap or your wetsuit pull - or get some at yourbagtag.com. The 3m dive stickers are from Amazon.

I use 3M custom dive stickers and have them on all my gear - fins, regs, wetsuit zipper pull, dive computers, battery chargers, etc. I also have an emergency info tag with the same sticker on the back.
@outofofficebrb, are these the 3M stickers you are referring to? If so, I have these on some of my gear as well! Although it only sticks to hard surfaces-rubber and cloth based-not so much!

I had cabin 2 recently (across from 1) and we were at the bow of the ship in the hull. Anchor going down every morning woke everyone up......except me. :wink:

Excellent point about marking the gear. I use 3M custom dive stickers and have them on all my gear - fins, regs, wetsuit zipper pull, dive computers, battery chargers, etc. I also have an emergency info tag with the same sticker on the back. It's always quick for the crew to know which ones are mine. It's simply my e-mail address with full name in it. I have yet to mix my gear with anyone else's, too. I have some popular fins (Mares Avanti Quattro +) so it has helped immensely. You can also embroider your neoprene mask strap or your wetsuit pull - or get some at yourbagtag.com. The 3m dive stickers are from Amazon.

Another great idea! You keep having great ideas! Now, do these stickers work on wetsuits? I'm guessing not...and marker will probably be better for wetsuits?

Update: Looks like @scbaNE2179 answered my question!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom