Any good OW dives in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI and NAUI open water certs, assuming you had a good instructor, certify you to be safe diving to 130'. 60' is just a general recommendation for new divers to keep them safe, since bolting for the surface from deeper depths is when you get into real trouble.

Remember, 60ft is only a recommendation. If she is doing well and the DM/shop like what they see, you might venture deeper by the end of the week.

She's 12, why would you suggest there is any reason for taking her deeper just because it's possible?

His wife is 12? Is that legal?

Ha.. I think you confused the OP's question with a mid-thread post someone made about their daughter. Check the OP :)

My 5th dive ever was palancar gates where I hit a max depth of 102ft. Didn't even realize we had gone that deep till I checked my profile after the dive. It went fine.
This is the type of cavalier attitude that will end you up with a starring role on the Accident & Incident page.

When you went this deep what was your, No Dive Limits, air usage, dive plan? Did you at least do a 3 min Safety Stop, even though 5 minutes would have been better.

His wife is 12? Is that legal?

Ha.. I think you confused the OP's question with a mid-thread post someone made about their daughter. Check the OP :)
Oops, I did. Long day teaching scuba, brain is fried. :)

PADI and NAUI open water certs, assuming you had a good instructor, certify you to be safe diving to 130'. 60' is just a general recommendation for new divers to keep them safe, since bolting for the surface from deeper depths is when you get into real trouble.

While diving deeper than your certification level outlines is your own personal choice please note the following:

Open Water Divers are qualified to plan no-stop dives to 60 ft, 18 m.

This goes for PADI, and a quick visit to the NAUI website shows they hold the same max depth.

I'm sure your instructor likely mentioned plan your dive and dive your plan and should have outlined limitations of your certification.

Dive safe within your abilities please, we don't need more statistics.

Concerned,
Cameron

Wow! Thanks to all of your responses. Great advice and suggestions! Definitely thinking of changing plans and making the trip to Cozumel!

While diving deeper than your certification level outlines is your own personal choice please note the following:

Open Water Divers are qualified to plan no-stop dives to 60 ft, 18 m.

This goes for PADI, and a quick visit to the NAUI website shows they hold the same max depth.

I'm sure your instructor likely mentioned plan your dive and dive your plan and should have outlined limitations of your certification.

Dive safe within your abilities please, we don't need more statistics.

Concerned,
Cameron

For your information I don't believe ANY Coz Dive Op plans a no stop dive at any depth. And there is always a DM along to help.

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

This is partly accurate - the part about 60ft being a recommendation until you get more experience and comfort.

Just to clarify, the greatest danger is in the first atmosphere where the pressure changes are much greater. Bolting from 20 or 30 feet to the surface is more dangerous than bolting from 100ft to 70 feet. Of course bolting from any depth is not a good idea -

This is partly accurate - the part about 60ft being a recommendation until you get more experience and comfort.

Just to clarify, the greatest danger is in the first atmosphere where the pressure changes are much greater. Bolting from 20 or 30 feet to the surface is more dangerous than bolting from 100ft to 70 feet. Of course bolting from any depth is not a good idea -
True. Thanks for clarifying my point.

As far as those who don't seem to believe that PADI and NAUI certify open water divers to 130', not sure what to say. It's right there on their websites, although I admit it can be a bit hidden since they try to really push the 60' for new divers.

And, yes, of course I did safety stops on my 102' depth dive. That's part of what you're taught in the lowest levels of certification. That's also why you're certified to go to 130'.

Maybe this has changed; I was only certified about 14 months ago. But, all of my courses said 130' was my max depth, and all of my courses stressed the need for safety stops.

Also, before anyone asks, my instructor is incredibly qualified and stressed safety beyond anything. He is a NAUI instructor because he believes PADI is too lax. I had 5 weeks of 2 hours of classroom and 2 hours in the pool each week. I had 4 additional certifying dives in open water proving skills before I was certified. I see nothing wrong, besides me not paying enough attention to realize we went that deep (which I've already mentioned was a major learning moment for me), about going that deep on my first dive after that. My instruction taught me how to be safe going to that depth.

That all said, I want to also stress I'm really not trying to come across as a know it all. I'm a very new diver and I have a lot to learn. I just don't think that criticism of me going to 102' on my fifth dive is fair, considering the training I had 100% prepared for it. I didn't notice I went that deep primarily cause we were only that deep for about 20 seconds according to my profile.

Back
Top Bottom