Any input appreciated on choosing a Similan liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgnu

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking for a similan live aboard, and since there are quite a few to chose from, I figured maybe I'd get some good advice here.

So, what am I looking for?

- 4 or 5 day trip late January or early February. Date is not important, but somewhere around there.
- I'm a fairly typical vacation diver I guess. 100 or so dives done. Like to bring my camera with me.
- I prefer to dive nitrox when doing LOB/many dives in a day
- I'll bring some gear, and rent some (renting reg and BCD I think)
- I'm older than the typical backpacker crowd (32). Will probably do this trip solo. (But I don't dive solo)
- I'm very low maintenance when traveling. Don't need very luxurious living on board..
- ... but I also don't mind paying more for better experience :)
- Departing from Khao Lak is better than Phuket, but not a deal breaker.

I've also never been to the northern Andaman coast, but I'm no stranger to liveaboards.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for me? Or any general words of wisdom?

Thanks,
/Jimmy

Checkout a company called Wicked Diving. I went on their liveaboard in Komodo last year. The trip was excellent. I have booked another liveaboard trip with them in December for the Similians Islands. They are based in Komodo and Khao Lak.

What is your expected price range for a four day (14 dives) trip?

Checkout a company called Wicked Diving. I went on their liveaboard in Komodo last year. The trip was excellent. I have booked another liveaboard trip with them in December for the Similians Islands. They are based in Komodo and Khao Lak.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll definitely check it out

---------- Post added October 17th, 2013 at 12:42 AM ----------

What is your expected price range for a four day (14 dives) trip?

Well I guess it depends on what I feel I'm getting for the money, you know?

But let's say somewhere around 30k BHT / 1k USD I guess?

---------- Post added October 17th, 2013 at 12:46 AM ----------

I'm sort of assuming that the cheapest boats (seen some advertised at 15k bht) attract the backpackers who just got over from their certification on Tao (nothing wrong with that, I've been there myself), and the slightly pricier boats might attract both older and more experienced divers maybe?

Am I correct there, or completely wrong?

With a 30k bht budget you'll have a wide choice. Dive Race and Oktavia would fall easily into your budget range, neither of which we've ever received negative feedback, taking your nitrox fills into account then Oktavia is only US$6 per fill and Dive Race US$ 11. Pawara has free nitrox so this would just about bring it into your budget range. Just a word of caution - the Chinese New Year will fall on the 31/01 so it will be very busy around that period especially that w/e, so maybe plan to go just before or just after.

Well, you can get a standard cabin on the very nice White Manta for 30K baht. I will be making my fifth (sixth?) trip on the White Manta this December. (The standard cabins do not have a window and share a toilet.) It's a beautiful boat from which to dive, but the nitrox isn't cheap (300 baht per fill?). And, as has been pointed out, there are less expensive options.

My first liveaboard was to the Similans on the Dive Race boat – I can certainly recommend it, had a wonderful time. Also gone there on the Black Manta liveaboard although its sister ship the White Manta cruises the Similans now, can thoroughly recommend the 'Manta' boats as well (in fact, off to Raja Ampat, Indonesia on BM in December this year).

What I liked especially about the Dive Race was that (I think) they take a maximum of 14 divers - just about the right number to get to know everyone I'll say - compared to some boats which can take 20 or maybe more, too many people IMO. Brian and Marco were the leaders on Dive Race when I was on it - 2 great blokes - but don't know if they're still there.

I boarded both boats at Tap Lamu harbour which is a very short journey from Khao Lak.

It's probably worth pointing out that most liveaboards now depart from Tap Lamu and that transportation to the harbor is provided from both Phuket and Khao Lak.

Yes only 14 divers on Dive Race, Beto is the tour leader now, he's a really nice guy and one of the reasons I tend to recommend that boat.

Back
Top Bottom