Any input appreciated on choosing a Similan liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you so much for the replies and recommendations everyone!

I haven't fully decided yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll end up with one of the boats recommended here.

Cheers again for making my vacation planning so much easier :)

The expenditure of tour depends on two things. One is the duration of the tour that means how many days you want to spend on that tour and second thing is the locality of the tour that means where are you going during your tour.

We were on Pawara, the second boat StevenL mentioned, a couple weeks ago and were quite happy with it. Went to the Similans, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai, Richelieu Rock, and two dives on the Boonsung wreck to finish off the trip. Richelieu was our favorite spot. Have done better diving elsewhere, but it was still a fine trip. Pawara's current dive staff and the Thai crew were great, and the food and accommodations were good as well. It's apparent the diving on this itinerary isn't what it used to be though. Trip leader Marco would always tell us what they used to see at each site that they don't anymore, and I could have done with hearing less of that. Would have loved to stay at Richelieu for the last two dives instead of going to the Boonsung, though perhaps it wouldn't be feasible time wise. One thing worth noting for someone who's been on a few liveaboards -- this one is 4 dives a day only, no option for a 5th night dive like many liveaboards elsewhere offer. In fact, the first day is the only one with a night dive. On the other full days, you finish up around twilight. Not a big deal in my book, as 4 a day is fine with me, but some people like to maximize their time underater. We had one of the two master cabins, the priciest on the boat, and it was more than adequate. Didn't get a chance to see any others, but heard no complaints from anyone on the boat. Get in touch with Steven if you have other questions. We booked this trip and a day trip earlier with him, and I highly recommend him.

Went with world wide dive and sail a few years back - was very happy but not sure if they do Thailand any more, if yes worth checking them out as well

Sorry if this is a late reply. I spent a week with Scubacat in March 2013...and for a non-luxury boat, it was excellent. Kat was an excellent dive master (15+ years, IIRC, in the Similians), warm, funny, safety oriented and a great teacher. Her skipper was top notch (has been doing the Similians, IIRC, for 10+ years) and the crew friendly and competent. Food was plentiful and good to excellent. Boat was comfortable and clean, would not hesitant to dive with them if I returned to Thailand. Really relaxed, but very attentive and joyful, experience.

Phuket Scuba Diving Liveaboards, PADI Courses, IDC Thailand

Just got back from 2 liveaboard trips with Wicked Diving, xmas and new year trip. Had a great time. I highly recommend them to anyone who wants to dive the Similan Islands or Komodo.

Just got back from 2 liveaboard trips with Wicked Diving, xmas and new year trip. Had a great time. I highly recommend them to anyone who wants to dive the Similan Islands or Komodo.

Can you give a little review of the quality of the diving and the operator? I dove Komodo in June and heading to Phuket for the first time in march. Thanks!

I really liked the Similan Islands but its different from Komodo. Wicked Diving is a great company. Its really well run and does a lot of work in the local communities and for charities. So a small percentage of the money you pay them for the diving trip funds these projects. I have done 4 liveaboard trips with them so far and plan on diving Komodo again with them later in 2014 and Raja Ampat in 2015.

Oktavia was great when we were there in Nov this year .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom