Any negative experience with UTD Z-system harness+BC (no manifold!) ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Z system's wing is very secure on the harness. The main reason is that the vertical back strap of the harness is actually threaded through a sleeve on the inside of the wing. So the wing is attached top (3" webbing), left (3" elastic), right (3" elastic) as well as in the strip down the middle.

As @decompression mentions, a T-weight system can be attached for carrying a lot of weight (up to 32 lbs or so), though then you need to forego the "sleeve" attachment of the BC, since the vertical strap is threaded through the T-pockets. (I do this, and it's still fine.)

For tropical weight amounts, just attaching a couple of 6lb weight pockets (there are many attachment points to choose from) should work just fine.

harness.jpg

Here's the way I rig my Z-Tec (37lbs/17kg of lift) for cold water tech diving. Argon bottle tucks in nicely next to the vertical part of the T-weight.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for all your replies. I've decided to give it a try with the xdeep tec complete set and then take it from there based on how it will fit my needs or not. Honestly, the xdeep gear seem easily sold-able in case, which is very positive :)

The Z system's wing is very secure on the harness. The main reason is that the vertical back strap of the harness is actually threaded through a sleeve on the inside of the wing. So the wing is attached top (3" webbing), left (3" elastic), right (3" elastic) as well as in the strip down the middle.

As @decompression mentions, a T-weight system can be attached for carrying a lot of weight (up to 32 lbs or so), though then you need to forego the "sleeve" attachment of the BC, since the vertical strap is threaded through the T-pockets. (I do this, and it's still fine.)

For tropical weight amounts, just attaching a couple of 6lb weight pockets (there are many attachment points to choose from) should work just fine.

View attachment 375297

Here's the way I rig my Z-Tec (37lbs/17kg of lift) for cold water tech diving. Argon bottle tucks in nicely next to the vertical part of the T-weight.
For my Truk trips in tropical Micronesia, I needed a 3kg weight pocket in between my shoulder blades, attached to the Z-harness on my back in order to keep my upper torso from rotating up (and at same time prevent knees from pivoting down into the silt) --became very uncomfortable after several days with soreness over the vertebral column. Used the Z-trim plus wing with a 0.5mm skinsuit & 2mm hooded vest, with double Aluminium 11L cylinders and the Distribution Block. . .

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom