Any of y'all get cold?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

www.divetank.com has brand new drysuits going for half price. I picked up a Bare Nex Gen for $618.00 with hood, fleece undersuit, fill hose and carry bag.

Also, try B-complex and an iron supplement to help deal with the cold.

Mike

Kevin,

I HATE the cold. Can't do more than one run down a ski slope before I'm sitting in the lodge. The cold DOES NOT work for me. So, how is it that I instruct (read...spend countless dives a year in the Sound) in the Puget Sound?

I took my Open Water class in a drysuit...and while my body was warm, my hands and feet still got cold between dives. It was February...Puget Sound...and snowing on top of the water!! When I learned how to layer correctly and other tricks for increasing warmth on the dive, I was fine. Give me the coldest day of the year now...and I know I'm going to be warm.

As women, in general, our hands and feet get colder easier. If our feet are warm, we're happy. If your wife trains in a drysuit...she'll be great. A happy little warmup of her hood and gloves between dives with hot water will have her eager to dive again.

Cindy
http://www.girldiver.com

Chocoholic:
Learning to dive in a dry suit may be a bit more challenging but it's kind of like learning to drive a stick shift. You can always use it.
uh oh....that's what we are working on right now... not going so well. lol! I can't immagine I'm the best teacher, I can only learn how I was taught. "easy in, easy out"....thanks dad, a fortune cookie would be more helpfull.

I apprietiate the words of wisdom.. She gets back from deployment soon....maybe I'll talk her into hanging out while I dive, and she could just-so-happen to run into some of the lady divers and y'all can work her over a little :D . Thanks for the tips. Anyone try to learn dry and get really frustrated and almost quite? how did you work through it, was there someone else there that helped in some way?

Kevin, let me know when she gets back and I'lll be happy to go diving with you. And please thank her for me, for her service.

* , mom to Iraq war vet

I dove in a 2pc 7mm wet suit here, while I was warm in the torso my hands and feet did get cold after 30 minutes. Matter of fact I was toasty warm from the knees up, as long as I didn't move around much. The way the suit fit, my overages in the bust department left a huge gap between the neck and the cleavage where cold water would essentially pour in with every movement of my neck or arms. That part was miserable.

I switched to dry suits because of the lamest reason in the world. I don't like to be wet. yes that sounds completely insane, but I absolutely hated donning the wetsuit, the cold water, and being wet. Maybe it's not unpleasant in warmer climes and I wouldn't mind a wetsuit, but for now I'll keep dry.

Now I dive in a bag style suit so I can control my layers, which means it's taken some serious trial and error to get the right combo of fabrics but I think we've figured it out. Unfortunately my feet still get cold, which means I need to continue working on that part of the kit.

So now the world knows my shameful secret, I love to dive but hate getting wet.:D

I have a good friend who is having to work very hard at mastering buoyancy in her dry suit. But she keeps at it!

I think one of the real keys for me was NOT to use the suit for buoyancy, and to dive with a fair amount of squeeze at first, until I got used to venting the suit. Once I got more confident, I could put in more air to stay warmer.

Bobbin-along:
II switched to dry suits because of the lamest reason in the world. I don't like to be wet.
It's ok, I hate having water on my head...like rain or being splashed, I'm like a cat in that sense. I'm ok if it's submerged or showers(go figure..)... I need to find a pool where she could throw all the gear on and play with it, see what she would think... she's a little aprehensive to the whole idea, she doesn't like the effort it takes to breath while snorkleing...is that what they call a "discover scuba" class?

My wife is 5'4 probably around 120

She's exactly my size. I do mostly quarry diving in Illinois. I dive with a 7mm Scubapro wetsuit and an Akona beanie to keep my head warm. I've found that without the beanie I can get a bit chilled underwater, especially when I'm not moving around much, but the beanie has been such a blessing. I'll wear a hood and gloves if I dive deeper.

If she doesn't want to do a drysuit, maybe she could try a semi-dry. I've never tried one, but a bunch of my buddies swear by them.

I suspect kwbyron's wife is either long since certified, or gave up on the idea -- thread's from 2006.

Back
Top Bottom