Any oly 765 user out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy-S

Contributor
Reaction score
I bought this camera for mainly above water reasons, but since they make underwater housings for them i purchased that as well. Now I am booked for 10 nights in coz at the grand and would love to break it in, with out breaking it. So if you have some experence with this camera and its housing please chim in. Some of my questions would be about what setting you use how to ajust white balence to get rid of the blues, Proer prep before diving and maint afterwards.
Thanks in advanced for your replys
Randy

I have the C 750 and my understanding it works the same way the C 765 does. One thing you might like to try is the video mode, but beware the sound needs to be turned on every time you power down the camera. Also I would suggest doing a calibration of the WB while you are diving. You will need a white slate, practice this above ground while in the UW case, this helps. Also I would do a Cal in depths 0-30 feet, another for 30-60 feet, another 60-90 feet and if deeper 90-120 feet. Also you can not do the WB cal in the auto mode, I would use the action mode. I was in Cozumel in July, this is what I did for my camera.

Thanks for the reply, how big of white slate do I need to set the wb and what did you use to do this. I would love to see some of your photos.
Randy

For some of my pics from Cozumel, look in my gallery. As for the slate I use one 3 1/2 by 5 inches. All the pics are with out a strobe. I only used the internal flash.

MArk

Hey nice pics, I just got my housing in. I read the manual and it does not give a lot of info on setting the wb. if you could take a moment and walk me through it that would be great.
Thanks randy

Yes the manual is not written very good. It took me just setting down and playing with the camera. So here is what I know.

Turn the camera on. Push the Quick view button. Set the Mode Dial the Portrait, Sports, Landscape + Portrait, Landscape, Night Scene, or the Self-Portrait mode. Note this will not work in the Auto Mode. Push the OK button. Select the Mode Menu by pushing the button to the right of the OK button. Using the Buttons above and/or below the OK button highlight the Picture Tab. Push the button to the right of the OK button. Using the Buttons above and/or below the OK button highlight the WB Tab. Push the button to the right of the OK button. Using the Buttons above and/or below the OK button highlight the Tab below the Reset Tab. Push the button to the right of the OK button. Point the camera at the slate, 2 to 3 inches away from it. Push the OK Button. The WB is now calibrated. I do this at different depths. It does help. Remember what pictures were taken at what setting, down load them after the dive and see what worked and what did not. Believe me I had several settings that did not work for me. Setting that did not work with this dive may work under different dive conditions, like a night dive, drift dive, low visibility. All I can say is get familiar with the camera above ground in the dive case so its second nature when you dive. If this does not work for you PM me and we can talk over the phone.

Mark

Mark,

I also have a C750, I used it last Jan. in Bonaire for the first time with some success. None of my pictures are of the quality yours are though, good shots by the way :eek:ctopus:.

I have only used the "action" and "auto" and "video" modes, mostly because of my ignorance of the art of photography and manual settings:34:. I'm interested in your settings and how you use them. I just don't see the color depth in my pictures you are getting on yours. I'll get out the manual and do some playing around. Can you explain (without having to get long-winded) why I should use a white slate? I remember using a grey slate in a basic class I took ages ago, but not a white slate. Also, why have sound turned on at powerdown? I used the video with and without sound with the same quality of video.

AACCKK!! So much to figure out with so little time. Going to Bonaire again in December, providing Ivan leaves it alone:zap1:.

Thanks, Steve M:snorkel:

mwrager:
Yes the manual is not written very good. It took me just setting down and playing with the camera. So here is what I know.

Turn the camera on. Push the Quick view button. Set the Mode Dial the Portrait, Sports, Landscape + Portrait, Landscape, Night Scene, or the Self-Portrait mode. Note this will not work in the Auto Mode. Push the OK button. Select the Mode Menu by pushing the button to the right of the OK button. Using the Buttons above and/or below the OK button highlight the Picture Tab. Push the button to the right of the OK button. Using the Buttons above and/or below the OK button highlight the WB Tab. Push the button to the right of the OK button. Using the Buttons above and/or below the OK button highlight the Tab below the Reset Tab. Push the button to the right of the OK button. Point the camera at the slate, 2 to 3 inches away from it. Push the OK Button. The WB is now calibrated. I do this at different depths. It does help. Remember what pictures were taken at what setting, down load them after the dive and see what worked and what did not. Believe me I had several settings that did not work for me. Setting that did not work with this dive may work under different dive conditions, like a night dive, drift dive, low visibility. All I can say is get familiar with the camera above ground in the dive case so its second nature when you dive. If this does not work for you PM me and we can talk over the phone.

Mark

White Slate vs. Gray Slate.
I had a friend of mine do a show me the difference test. I also thought you should use a something gray to calibrate your WB to. So I did the test. I took a gray calibration sheet and calibrated my camera to it and took some pictures. I have a reef 120 gal reef tank. Then I took my white slate and calibrated my camera to it and took some pictures. I found the colors to be brighter with the white slate. Also when I dive I take my white slate with me so that also makes it easier to calibrate my camera. I also try and take picture where my internal flash will work, don’t have a strobe yet. Having sound on with the video uses up more of your memory card, but in my option its worth it to have the sounds when I play them for other people so they can here what I here. As for having it make a sound when its powering down is up to you. Mine does it and I have not changed it. Also on the so so pictures I have 3 different camera software to adjust my pictures Paint Shop Pro, ACDSee, and Photoshop. The two settings I use the most are the video setting and the action setting.

Mark

can anyone explain what is a white /gray slate?

thank u

Mwrager, Thanks for the reply. With the success you're having with those settings, I should be able to do well also. I'm stoked now, want to go right now,,,,, have to wait till December,,,, AARRGGHH!!!

Steve M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom