any place to stay on Maui that is reasonably priced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ch0ppersrule

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We have decided on Maui for our Christmas vacation and were trying to find a reasonably priced place to stay. Some of the resorts were $400.00 + a night (2 adults 1 child). I don't think so. We really want to try Maui instead of the Big Island since we have already been to the B.I. . We want to stay closer to the airport and by the good dive sites. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, do the hotels and resorts have a kama'aina rate? Thanks.

Melissa

Check www.maui.net , there is info on there about lodging that is fairly "cheap". I can't remember which dive op it is, but one out of Kihei has cottages that you can rent and it is under $100 a night if memory serves me correctly.

Another site to check is www.hawaii4less.com , I used these people a couple of years ago and they were pretty reasonable on a 2 bedroom condo in Kahana, which is between Ka'anapali and Kapalua. They can book air for you as well.

If are you staying close to the airport you aren't staying close to the good dive sites. Go to www.vrbo.com and you'll find discounted rates. I prefer Kihei these days.

I second the notion of looking at maui.net . My parents live in Kihei and they, like a lot of their friends, have guest houses that are pretty cheap (my parents' one bedroom guest house, about 5 minutes from the Kihei boat ramp rents for $85/night! -- and is ALWAYS booked so I don't get to stay there!). However, you'll probably have a hard time at this late date -- but check anyway!

I have always used www.travel-hawaii.com for my trips to Maui. Once you find where you want to stay, call them. They can normally do better than the price listed on the website.

I personally prefer the Lahaina/Kaanapali area versus the Kihei area although good options for shore diving are better in Kihei. In the Lahaina area Lahaina Shores is a decent, reasonably priced place to stay...walking distance to several places to eat/various shops, etc..

scubaguy655:
I have always used www.travel-hawaii.com for my trips to Maui. Once you find where you want to stay, call them. They can normally do better than the price listed on the website.

I personally prefer the Lahaina/Kaanapali area versus the Kihei area although good options for shore diving are better in Kihei. In the Lahaina area Lahaina Shores is a decent, reasonably priced place to stay...walking distance to several places to eat/various shops, etc..
Those look pretty high for prices... a suggestion: whenever possible book (hotels, cars, activites) as directly as possible -- there is a LOT of referral business on the island, with prices almost always cheaper when you go directly to the source.

Thanks everyone. I have lots of things to look at and a short time to book it all. I appreciate all the feedback and referral sites.

Melissa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom