Any reason I can't glue pockets to my wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why not just glue on the pocket while you're wearing it?
Neoprene cement takes time to get tacky and set, and multiple coats are needed, and the fumes would be quite unbearable.

Neoprene cement takes time to get tacky and set, and multiple coats are needed, and the fumes would be quite unbearable.
Sleep outdoors for the night.

Problem solved!

My trilam drysuit shrunk over the years, not sure how that happened... but until I can figure it out I'm back into a 7mil.
I miss my pockets. Any reason I can't just glue some pockets onto my wetsuit?
Did this on my wetsuit with a set of full size light monkey pockets. Used aqua seal and let dry for 24hours plus per leg. Don the wetsuit, have someone trace the location of the pocket while you wear it, lay it flat on a table and apply a lot of glue. Stack weights on the pocket to ensure good contact. Mine have been on for more than 200 dives, the wetsuit is literally falling apart around the pockets but they remain in place just fine….Here’s a pic!

Attachments

• 17AAD24F-1B2F-40E0-83B5-80D75C92073A.jpeg
    17AAD24F-1B2F-40E0-83B5-80D75C92073A.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 69
A tip that was shared with me is to use an ironing board to stretch the wetsuit out and then, like kelp dog mentioned, put weights on the pocket to hold it down while your aqua seal does its business.

I glue pockets onto my wetsuits every time I buy a new wetsuit. People are over-thinking the process.

1. Put on the wetsuit, position the pocket, and draw a line around the pocket on the wetsuit. Remove the wetsuit.

2. Put a line of Aquaseal glue along the left vertical edge of the pocket and place the left edge of the pocket along the line you drew in step 1. Put a weight on the pocket and let the glue dry overnight.

3. Repeat step 2 with the right vertical edge of the pocket.

4. Done

I would Like to add the answer to the why? to dedede's post that mentions" Use an ironing board to stretch the wetsuit out". I have large thighs and when I first glued my first set of pockets I did not stretch the suit. Where the pockets were glued did not stretch anymore because the non-stretching material of pockets doesn't allow for stretching. That make it difficult to get your suit on over my thighs. Here is the tip that I got from a step by step posting in the old TDS (The DecoStop) forum many years ago. Wear the suit, figure out wear you want the pockets (making sure you can get to the bottom of the pockets without having to bend) and use sewing chalk to mark your suit, The ironing board allows you to stretch the suit so the marked pattern when stretched will match a close to the pocket before you start gluing it down. This will allow the suit to stretch because the material of the pockets have "puckered up" when the suit isn't stretched and will flatten out when you have the suit on. I have had 8 suits and 2 sets of original Halcyon pockets (faded to tan) .

You don't have to use an ironing board. I always just cut some cardboard in the profile of my thigh, wrapped a towel around that to keep from snagging the inside and glued it. Weights on overnight and done. This ONLY works with pockets that have a neoprene back. If you use standard pockets that don't, it will stiffen the legs and make them fit weird.

What would such shorts look like and where would I find them?
I use a cheap set off Amazon (the grommets rusted, but I don't care). Similar to these:
//www.amazon.com/LEIPUPA-Womens-Wetsuit-Diving-Pockets/dp/B07ZVN2F6R/ref=sr_1_24?crid=34S3RPVNQKHF5&keywords=pocket%2Bshorts%2Bscuba&qid=1692725179&sprefix=pocket%2Bshorts%2Bscuba%2Caps%2C118&sr=8-24&th=1
Respectfully,

James

What would such shorts look like and where would I find them?
There are many brands but I read all the reviews and went with Fourth Element. Very pricey these days:

Halcyon came out with a pair last year that look good but have no experience:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom