Any reports yet on the Ikelite AF 35?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Probably too new to get any user reviews, but I am interested if there is anyone out there with a review. I think this is the right strobe package for me. Good name brand and simple operation.

Reviews anyone??

well, i almost bought it today but actually settled for the sealife sl961... hopefully i made the right decision - i was not too sure about that sensor.

The Guide # for the strobe is low. I don't think it is a powerful strobe. No comment on its acceptance in the P&S Arena.

I bought the AF35 and it looks like a really nice strobe for an amateur like me. I use a Canon SD800 with a Canon housing and it will work just fine for me.

It came with special mounting adapters (spacers really) for Olympus, Canon and Sony point and shoot camera housings. In the box were mounting screws, a flash blackout sheet for the camera housing and a white plastic diffuser to mount on the strobe.

The strobe housing is exactly the same as the more expensive Ikelite products and the gooseneck seems to work just fine. The strobe arm comes off the tray with no tools required, so this strobe package will be easy to transport.

I don't really care about power . . . I mostly wanted to avoid some backscatter and get a better angle on the flash. Honestly, my Canon camera flash was too intense for many of my situations.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!! I'll be shooting in February '08 and I'll try to remember to give a report when I return.

S4S

The Guide # for the strobe is low. I don't think it is a powerful strobe................

Ikelite is known for posting reputable information, including guide numbers and angles of coverage.

Ikelite lists the Guide number for the AF 35, sensitivity set to ISO 100, measured in feet, at GN 28 surface, and more importantly, GN 16 underwater. Metric equivalents at ISO 100 would translate to GN 9 topside and GN 5 UW.

In theory, an AF 35 would therefore be able to illuminate a subject underwater at a distance of 4 feet from strobe to subject, aperture set to f/4, ISO set to 100.

You definitely know more about photography than me. 4 feet is perfect for me. I prefer to take fairly close-up pictures of small reef creatures anyway.

The Sealife 961 looks like a good product. However, I did notice a couple of differences between the Sealife 961 and the AF35. Anyone considering a purchase might want to consider this information.

The Sealife comes with a carrying case. That is a bonus.

The AF35 claims 300 feet depth rating versus 200 feet for the Sealife. OK, who cares about that depth? Well, Ikelite must have some justification (hopefully testing) for the deeper rating. 33% more pressure capability is nothing to sneeze at.

The AF35 also claims 300 full power flashes per battery charge versus 100 for the Sealife. I might not take 300 flash pictures on a dive, but the AF35 should easily take 100 or more. The AF35 flash also recharges between pictures in 2.5 seconds.

Scuba equipment is a very personal decision based on each diver's interest. Do the research and buy what you think works for you.

:bablefish
S4S

Looks like it could be a hot ticket in the point and shoot market.
I'm trying to figure out their potential market... It retails for $425 (with tray and articulated arm), where-as the DS-51 is only $400 (without the tray and arm). The DS-51 appears (to my mariginally educated eye) to be considerably more powerful than the AF-35 (based on guide#s). The AF-35 doesn't appear to sync with TTL cameras, so if I purchase it now for my Digital P&S it won't work well with a DSLR I might purchase down the road. Am I missing something? Maybe it's simply a lot easier to use?

Thanks,

Jerry

geraldp and others,

The price you see for DS51 is strobe head only, No arm, sensor or cord, etc. The AF35 is designed to read and mimic pre-flashes digital P&S cameras put out (varies by camera manufacturer) and be as close to auto shooting as possible.

The AF35 is 35 watt seconds, The DS51 is 50 watt seconds. DS51 has a removable cord for upgrade if you get a new digital camera housing with hard wire capability. AF 35 is meant to be used with the included handle and lightweight tray. Either single or even dual strobes.

I tested it in August with and without a wide angle lens on a small P&S type camera and it worked great. See photos below...

Any questions contact me at David Haas Underwater Photography

dhaas

Attachments

• IMG_2635.jpg
    IMG_2635.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 855
  • IMG_2809.jpg
    IMG_2809.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 821
  • IMG_2878.jpg
    IMG_2878.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 792
  • IMG_2889.jpg
    IMG_2889.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 922
  • IMG_2973.jpg
    IMG_2973.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 833
There is a $250 difference in these two strobe packages (head, tray, arm and control). That's the credit I got at my LDS when I returned the DF-51 for the AF-35. They are both too expensive as far as I'm concerned.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with either one. I found the DS-51 to be loaded with features that were not compatible with my little Canon P&S camera. Personally, I would have been embarassed to show up on a dive boat with a strobe like the DS-51 connected to my Mickey Mouse (with all due respect to Disney) camera and housing.

I definitely considered the fact that the AF-35 will not upgrade to a more sophisiticated camera. Anyone making this purchase should consider that limitation also. There's always E-Bay!!

This has been a great exchange of ideas. That's the beauty of ScubaBoard.

S4S

Back
Top Bottom