Any Shore Diving in Cozumel? Need Answer ASAP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

got4boyz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Leaving for Cozumel tonight and my husband just asked me if there is any shore diving we can do on our own there? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Beth

PS: Will be gone for a week so feel free to answer even if you don't see this for awhile. I'll be checking my email while I'm gone.

by Papa Hogs and Blue Angel dive shops. You can rent tanks at either one. Also the rubble that used to be the plane at El Cid but I have not been there.
Make sure you bring your c-card to rent the tanks!

use the search bar in this forum or look on page 4 in this forum under Beach Diving it was discussed at length. Check out what DocVikingo had to post.

As the previous poster mentioned, the area in front of Papa Hog's is the end of villablanca reef and is a fun shallow (20') dive. Also mentioned was the airplane wreckage in front of the El Cid which is not bad. The El Presidente is another decent shore with reef and sunken barge.

There is also Chankanaab park, however, this is a little more expensive than the others (most operators charge $6 for tank and weights) as it is a $10 entry fee, $16 for tanks and $20 for mandatory dive guide.

Thank y'all so much for your super quick info. Parrotheaddiver, thanks for telling me about the other thread. That gave me the info I needed. But if anyone has more than what was already told me, please let me know! :)

Thanks again!

I did a couple night shore dives at dive paradise. $5 for a tank and you're good to go. It's just across the road from Hotel Cozumel Brisas.

got4boyz:
Leaving for Cozumel tonight and my husband just asked me if there is any shore diving we can do on our own there? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

As others have noted, you can shore dive at Villablanca Hotel (Papa Hogg's). If you're a little more adventurous, you can swim out to the wall (150 yds or so) there and drift down until you see the buoy and chain that marks the cable from the lighthouse to the mainland, which you can follow inshore to a take out point at the lighthouse. It's anchored to the lip of the wall; if you're drifting the top of the wall you literally cannot miss it. The cable housing looks like a culvert made of bricks, and it runs into shore at an angle that's easy to manage, even in the current.

There's lots of boat traffic there, though; swim all the way out and back in at depth, and carry a safety sausage.

Can you do any beach dives on your own?? Ie do the diveshops rent you the tanks etc and let a certified budy couple make a beachdive on there own?

Any sugestions are welcome

mvd1968:
Can you do any beach dives on your own?? Ie do the diveshops rent you the tanks etc and let a certified budy couple make a beachdive on there own?

Yes. You must be cert'ed to get tanks and weights, and you sign the standard waivers, but after that you are on your own most places. Notable exception: Chankanaab Park - you must go with a DM there.

Quick List Of Shore Dives: Airplane Flats@ El Cid La Ceiba & Surrounding Area; El Presidente Beach; Chankanab Park; Check With Dive Ops Listed Above For Others
Best Wishes.
The Shark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom