Any special skills needed for bp/wings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a DSS singles rig and also got the 50lb wing for when I set my doubles up(lp95's). I was taught the proper way to tighten a tank from the get go and no matter what bc I've used in 122 dives and 125 hours in the pool with students I have never had a tank get loose after I''ve tightend it. If a tank comes out it's because of two things, it was not tightend correctly or the strap broke. I went from 12 lbs in my probe in a 5mil in fresh water to the weight of the plate and 2lbs in the DSS singles rig. I tightened the straps on the BPW set up the same way I do for any bc. Wet em a little and pull, close cam, hold, release, take in slack and cinch her down. I also have the wedge blocks installed which keeps tension on the cam straps and reduces wear on them. If you have a DSS rig and the tank is loose after following the recommended instruction for setting it up and tightening the straps you screwed up somewhere. I cannot see how an STA could make this any tighter save for digging into the galvanizing on my nice steel tanks. I do not dive aluminum if I can help it. The DSS rigs are top of the line in quality and construction. If an STA is cutting into the cam bands or tearing up the tank finish it's most likely due to laziness and lack of quality control from the manufacturer. I work in a metal shop. I know what properly finished steel parts look like. And for what is charged for some of the more expensive elite rigs I'd be pissed at this level of quality or lack of. I wore my DSS rig in the pool with nothing but my speedo bike shorts. Waiting to get in with the backplate resting on my hips where there is not much natural padding got a little uncomfortable until I realized that this square edge of this steel plate was just putting pressure on and not cutting into me at all. I have heard of those who had to take emery cloth to their plates when they got em due to sharp edges. None to be found on the DSS plates. And due to the molded inserts in the slots there are no sharp edges to cut the harness webbing and the design of these slot inserts also eliminates the need for keepers on the back side. Bottom line I wish I would have gotten one sooner. As for streamlining the lcd 30 wing I have does not come out past my shoulders. And if you READ on the DSS site the torus 35 wing is designed for those who by necessity may need to wear extra weight at the hips or lower in the form of a weight belt or ankle weights due to exposure suit. If you do not dive dry or don't need alot of extra weight at the waist then get the 20lb wing. But to criticize a design with no knowlege of what it's designed for is not the way to look like you know what you are saying. Come up north, east or west coast, and dive new years day with one of us in 25-35 degree air temps and 40 degree or so water. You'll see why some might need a little extra lift at the hips when carrying 15-25 lbs in a weight belt or with ankle weights in our dry suits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom