Any spots recommended in Baja /the Sea of Cortez late November / early December?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laurenceh

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We'll be spending 3-4 weeks driving from Tijuana to Cabo.
Any ideas for places to dive in late November and early December as we drive down the peninsular?

I did a Sea of Cortez liveaboard in November 2020. I imagine it's a long day boat ride, but Los Islotes is home to a sea lion colony that is full of cute youngsters who will playfully nip and interact with you. You could probably get there from La Paz.

Cabo Pulmo is an obvious stop. I've heard Loreto has good diving as well.

Come to Loreto. Contact Blue Nation diving ... Monica will set you up. PM me if you want more info. I've lived here nearly four years, and have done some significant diving in the area. November/December is a good time. Water temps starting to turn cooler ... last year that time I logged temps in the low to mid 70's.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Loreto is a good location. We’ve spent a week there twice, within the last decade. The water temps in August are in the upper 80’s, by October low 80’s to upper 70’s. The diving is not challenging but quite good. Good restaurants and early California history.

The sea lion colony at Los Islotes is regularly dived from La Paz, altho it is a long boat trip, ~90 min one way. The price of diving seems high to me too - about $180 per 2 tank trip. The pups were definitely fun, and La Paz has great seafood.

Add Magdalena Bay (town of Puerto San Carlos) on the Pacific side as a potential site to go out of on a boat to snorkel and freedive the Sardine Run and see Striped Marlins, sea lions and whatever else wants to swim by to partake in the feast.

I haven't done Loreto - it is reputed to be a great place for whalewatching, but in the wintertime. But I've done La Paz and Cabo Pulmo during that timeframe, and I consider both "can't miss" on a trip like this: La Paz for the sea lions and Cabo Pulmo for the bull sharks and the big school of jacks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom