Any tips for making a wetsuit easier to put on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had the extended leg & arm zippers installed in my wetsuit and I usually got my wetsuit on while others are just starting to think about it.
Cheers,
SWT

trust me... have someone demonstrate the plastic bag technique, I grew up using it while surfing in the winter and whenever I dive w/ any group they're always amazed at how quickly my suit is on! It never dawned on me that it was out of the ordinary because there have always been a dozen or so surfers w/ plastic bags on their feet getting suited up in a parking lot in the middle of February!

another thing that has bothered me ever since I started diving is the difference in wetsuits being used... I understand the compression of a stretchier suit at depth may lead to more radiant heat loss, but my Xcel Infiniti's (zipperless) don't leak through the neoprene itself... They are more water tight than the traditional non stretchy wetsuit (especially with double glued seams).

I'm just surprised that super stretchy material hasn't really caught on in the diving industry until the last few years...

P.S. I think rolling a wetsuit on every time you dive might decrease the life of the material and the stitching on the seams... But, I've never used that technique before so I can't say for sure.

One more vote for the grocery bag(plastic not paper). I've been surfing for about 13 years now and have always used one. We used to surf so much our suits were always wet, the plastic bag helps wet or dry. It's free, doesn't pollute the water(as long as you throw it away or keep it) and works perfectly.

I'd say try that, if it doesn't work for you, then get a new suit. I use the Xcel Quad Polar for cold water, it's got about 150 dives on it and is still in great shape.

Good luck!

Billy

EDIT: having a skin is great, but it's just one more thing to put on, take off, rinse off, and hang dry.

I also struggled with this for years. My new line has YKK zippers on the arms and ankles, then an extra seal inside to minimize water flow.

Mike

i struggled too.

i bought a (2 piece) wetsuit early on - before realizing that ALL (good) DIVE GEAR IS EXPENSIVE.

i recently invested in the 5 mil hyperstretch henderson. It was SO worth the money. I would recommend it to any struggler in a heart beat.

One of the reason NOT to use shampoo, dish detergent, or other lubricant is: Dryness of the skin and maceration of the skin. I've seen dry patches of skin on folks who need lubricants to put on their suit. Detergent continues to work after you're submerged and dry and irritate your skin.

Translation: Dish pan body :D

The plastic bags don't work for me. I just pour water down my arm after I get the suit half way up and it works. I only have problems after the first dive when everything is soggy. But when I'm dry, a long sleeve rash guard and jammer type shorts do the trick for me with my Goldcore 5mm. Losing 15 pounds will also help-but I'm working on that part.

One of the reason NOT to use shampoo, dish detergent, or other lubricant is: Dryness of the skin and maceration of the skin. I've seen dry patches of skin on folks who need lubricants to put on their suit. Detergent continues to work after you're submerged and dry and irritate your skin.
Around my neck of the wood we use baby soap diluted with water and sprayed on with a hair-dressers pump spray bottle. Baby sop or shampoo is very gently on the skin and wont sting your eyes. Also makes the suit smell nice after you done diving. :D

Back
Top Bottom