Anybody come across this thing yet? All in one pony bottle.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve85

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I was trying to decide between mounting or slinging a 13cf pony tank today (I would like to sling it but general opinion seems to be it's too short for that). Anyway, I came across this weird thing. Kind of a cool idea if the system as a whole is reliable. Wondering what folks here think. Supposedly it'll be shown at DEMA.

Also, they seem to have adopted the consistently terrible Air Buddy name like some others have. Trying not to hold that against them.

http://divesales.com/contents/en-us/d9.html

pony%20bottle%20rig%20new.jpg

pony-bottle-rig-top.jpg

The valve/regulator combo has been around for awhile. I have never seen it with a mouthpiece though.

While better than nothing I like the length of my 19 I sling it and forget its there generally.

If I recall the airbuddy mouthpiece was a bite/bend to get air and might be confusing if you wanted to hand it off to another diver.

When you actually have to use your pony bottle, it's most likely going to be a stressful situation. You don't want a regulator that requires a vastly different technique to use. That could easily push you from stressed to panicked. And it looks like you would have to hold the bottle in your hand to use it. One mistake and it's gone.

I'm selling a bunch of them in another thread. Awesome idea, though!!! :)

Used to have a spare air. Gave it away. I usually dive with a pony. I find its presence relaxing. If stuff hits the fan knowing that I still have enough air to safely ascend from the depths I dive is relaxing. Relaxing in an emergency is good. I also did not want to have it too large to be used almost all the time. I chose a 19 after some calculations. If I had a 6 and I was at 90 ft, and I go on it, then it is still a stressful situation in my mind. It is also rather small to pass off to somebody for doing their safety stop.

So I was trying to decide between mounting or slinging a 13cf pony tank today (I would like to sling it but general opinion seems to be it's too short for that).

I have an HP11 that I sling, works great. Cylinders do not need to be large to be able to be carried in a sling.

Anyway, I came across this weird thing. Kind of a cool idea if the system as a whole is reliable. Wondering what folks here think. Supposedly it'll be shown at DEMA.

Most of the pieces and parts have been available for ages. Let's break it down.

1) AL6 cylinder
2) Integrated valve and piston 1st stage
3) Button SPG
4) Squeeze mouthpiece in place of a second stage to save money and bulk

So you can substitute any of those pieces in and out. Piranha, among others, sells the integrated valve/1st stage. You can get the cylinders and SPGs anywhere. The squeeze mouthpiece I've not seen sold separately but if you really want one I'm sure you could find it.

Here are the problems.

An AL6 is large enough to be hard to fit in a pocket, but small enough to be of doubtful sufficiency for a deeper dive, depending on how you think about this stuff.

The integrated valve and 1st stage affair saves a little space and weight at the expense of flexibility, performance, familiarity, and ease of maintenance. Good tradeoff?

The squeeze mouthpiece isn't something I'd want to dive with.

As with any pony, practice in a controlled environment regularly so you'll know what to do if you ever need it.

I have an HP11 that I sling, works great. Cylinders do not need to be large to be able to be carried in a sling.

Most of the pieces and parts have been available for ages. Let's break it down.

1) AL6 cylinder
2) Integrated valve and piston 1st stage
3) Button SPG
4) Squeeze mouthpiece in place of a second stage to save money and bulk

So you can substitute any of those pieces in and out. Piranha, among others, sells the integrated valve/1st stage. You can get the cylinders and SPGs anywhere. The squeeze mouthpiece I've not seen sold separately but if you really want one I'm sure you could find it.

Here are the problems.

An AL6 is large enough to be hard to fit in a pocket, but small enough to be of doubtful sufficiency for a deeper dive, depending on how you think about this stuff.

The integrated valve and 1st stage affair saves a little space and weight at the expense of flexibility, performance, familiarity, and ease of maintenance. Good tradeoff?

The squeeze mouthpiece isn't something I'd want to dive with.

As with any pony, practice in a controlled environment regularly so you'll know what to do if you ever need it.
Definitely agree with a lot of your points. There is definitely something to be said for the convienence factor of an all in one solution though.

Also, I'll just add that according to that site, it's also available with a 13cf tank for a couple bucks more. That definitely seems to increase it's usefulness a bit.

1 min at 60' plus a 2 min ascent, with a SAC of 1.0 cu-ft/min, needs 4 cuft of air.

1 min at 90' plus a 3 min ascent needs 7 cu-ft.

I would not waste my money on even a 13cf "pony".

Back
Top Bottom