Shark Pony Bracket - any thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverGirl1972

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am going to be taking the SDI solo course in a couple of weeks and am in the market for a mounting system for a 19 cf bottle. I found one online - the Shark Pony bracket - that seems to be strong and simple to put on and remove. I've tried looking for reviews but can't find any. I did a search on SB and someone posted a similar inquiry a few months ago but no one responded. I figured I'd take a chance and post it here, as a higher proportion of solo divers use a pony versus those who consistently dive with a buddy.

Eventually, I will be finishing my sidemount course, which I realize is an ideal solution for having a redundant air source, but for now, I am interested in a pony set-up. Also, I am not a do-it-yourself'er so I am not looking to make my own. Finally, money is not an issue, so the somewhat ridiculous $72 price tag for this product isn't a factor.

If no one has used this before, can anyone see a reason why this bracket wouldn't work well? My preference is to keep the tank behind me, versus slinging, though I may very well go this route if I must. I saw previous posts recommending a remora mounting system (?), but I have been unable to turn one up in an internet search.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Shark Pony Tank Bracket - YouTube
Pony bottle mounting - pony tank mount-pony bottle-shark mfg

---------- Post added July 31st, 2013 at 07:31 PM ----------

Well, wanted to get it here to practice before my SDI course. Looks like this is going to turn into a product review, as I just bought the thing :) Stay tuned... if you are interested!

I believe that would be called a "rhetorical" question.

If you are taking a sidemount course you will become (hopefully) comfortable slinging a tank. If so, why not sling it? Will you have someone else rig your SM tanks?

That bracket is what it is. What is important is to see what else needs to be done. You will need an SPG for the pony routed to where you can monitor it. You will need a reg also routed. So every dive you will be messing with tank, rod and two hoses.

A rhetorical question is one asked for “effect” with no answer expected. I did ask a question that I expected (or at least hoped for) an answer to. I wanted to know if anyone could provide a review for the Shark Pony Bracket and if not, could anyone see a reason why it wouldn't work well? I don’t know what I don’t know, so I thought I’d throw it out there.

I never said that I wasn’t comfortable slinging a tank, I merely indicated that it wasn’t my first preference in this situation. I just wanted some input on a simple mounting system to keep the pony at my back. Also, I handle all of my own gear so I won’t be needing anyone to rig my SM tanks. Thanks for your response.

It will be fine. I think Dales point was that all the tank back mount pony's share more than a few drawbacks. Buy it, use it for class. Your instructor will prolly go over all this and punch your ticket when your done. In the end a redundant air source with some drawbacks is better than no redundant air source.
Eric

You asked the question and bought the adapter on the same day.

But Eric is correct. Almost any mounting solution will work as long as the cons are considered and accounted for. Slinging has the least amount of cons and seeing as you are also taking a SM course, some pros as well. But you have purchased the adapter now so the following is rhetorical on my part (though others following along may find it interesting}.

I have back mounted in the past (though not for long) and preferred a valve down orientation. That allowed me to open and close the valve by reaching just beyond the hip. I bungiied the standard length HP hose to the pony butt, near the armpit and then clipped the SPG on my left chest D ring (tank was on the left) and routed my reg up to my neck on a swivel. It worked well enough once in the water. Eventually I found carrying a tank and pony combined a hassle though as well as clipping and stowing the hoses each time I donned and doffed. It became a somewhat cumbersome rig (compared to what I dive now).

Personally, I will not dive a blind tank (one I cannot read the volume of) unless I am vintage diving, certainly not a bailout tank I will switch to during a dive. The risk of going onto a dead reg in those circumstances is beyond reasonable and unnecessary. I also solo a lot and find having to remove my rig because I forgot to turn on the air a pita so I prefer the ability to manipulate the valve. I would like to say I never do that but I would be lying.

The slung tank is a compact unit that meets those needs. I can switch regs between my 19 and 40 cuft ponies easily or even an 80 travel stage when required. I can also sling my pony when single sidemounting. If I am wetsuit diving I can even use my pony reg set for one side of my SM rig. No matter what size pony, or whether I'm side mounting or not, the tank configuration and use is basically the same.

Last edited:
Well, perhaps I will be following this post up with one under "What equipment did you buy that you regret" :facepalm:Just got back from my lds and after considering your reasoning, I am all set up with a 19cf pony ready for slinging. DaleC, thank you for your follow up post. I have multiple dive buddies and acquaintances that dive with their pony at their back and swear by it for their own reasons but after hearing your counterpoint, I am convinced it isn't for me. Regardless, I am happy with my final set up and appreciate your feedback.

...//... My preference is to keep the tank behind me, versus slinging, ...//...

IMHO a 19 is perfect for slinging. If you want to 'remora' your pony, you may wish to pick something bigger for several reasons.

It will be fine. I think Dales point was that all the tank back mount pony's share more than a few drawbacks. Buy it, use it for class. Your instructor will prolly go over all this and punch your ticket when your done. In the end a redundant air source with some drawbacks is better than no redundant air source.
Eric

Good.

...//... Slinging has the least amount of cons and seeing as you are also taking a SM course, some pros as well. ...//... No matter what size pony, or whether I'm side mounting or not, the tank configuration and use is basically the same.

Yes. You may wish to donate your primary to a needy divder, calm him/her then attach your pony and then swap regs for the ascent. All bets are off on a needy diver's capabilities at a free ascent. Strapping a pony onto one of them is the single very best thing that you can do for both them and yourself. Just 'be there' to work them through it.

Great discussion but did not answer my question.
I looked at a shark mount for a 30CF STAGE (alternate air) source...
I just became a Rescue Diver and working on my Dive Master...I feel that I need a pony/stage/whatever
Can you ultimately tell me what I should use as an alternate or an emergency air supply?
Really appreciate any inputs.
Cheers
Keep the blue side up.

I currently fall solidly into the camp of slinging the auxiliary bottle for solo diving. But this looks interesting since it slips under the main tank cam bands it might be fairly easy to move from expended tank to fresh tank:

Pony Mount — XS Scuba - Everything For The Perfect Dive

And it could be mounted inverted for the southern hemisphere folks :wink:.

Concerning pony size, I have 19 and 30 cf bottles. Generally I think 19 cf is enough, at least to about 80 feet. A recent incident with myself that became kind of dicey a 19 would not have gotten me to the surface. I am not going to recount the whole complicated affair. I was not on a planned solo dive and therefore did not have a pony aux bottle. But I became separated from my group. I had several issues including a regulator problem and minor deco to deal with and did manage to inhale some seawater just for fun. From beginning of the incident to surface, I used 1000 psi of a 80 cf tank. That is 27 cf. Had I been solo and had my main back tank regulator failed completely (which it did not) I would have been short 8 cf. The incident began at around 100 feet of depth and I had been slightly deeper during the dive and was in minor deco. And that too was unplanned and resulted from a bit of a delay. It was a fubar cluster f--- but it has made me rethink how much gas I might really need if solo and must go to my aux bottle due to a total failure of my main system. Yes, that is rare to happen, I agree.

James

Have another pony mount like the one above.
But use this Home | Shark Manufacturing, LLC
Up on one setup and inverted on another
Here is the small pony cylinder for shallow dives.
I will post the larger one when it's set up, easy on/off between dives.
Edit: for solo [and insta buddy solo] dives.
20210910_160256.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom