Anybody heard of Tommy D Sports?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tpb31

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am slowly trying to buy all of my gear and I am on a bit of a budget. I came across these guys:
http://www.tommydsports.com/products/pages/bcd.htm

I tried searching and couldn't find anything.

Cost wise, they look good, on paper they look decent too. Has anybody had any experience with them? I would hate to buy something from them only to have it fall apart.:confused: But if I can save a few bucks I wouldn't mind that either.

I am not familiar with them, but I would suggest checking out ScubaToys (URL="http://www.scubatoys.com"]http://www.scubatoys.com[/URL]). Can't beat their service or prices ![

Notice that they're "their BC's" I've never seen anyone on a trip (and I look at other peoples gear) with a "Tommy D's" brand BC. They're probably just relabeling some generic wholesale brand.

I guess I have a issue with a dive website that has a link to cashlagoon.com on their homepage - a site that pays for links. And sells the same multi-colored 2nd stages as "regulators"

Also I didn't see any mention of a warranty anywhere. But I didn't look at more than the BCD, regs, and home pages.

I applaud the concept of making low cost gear available but unfortunately DiversDirect and others do it so much better in that area...

If you're trying to save money, consider LeisurePro. They have at least a dozen BC's under $250 from manufacturers you've heard of. And they do offer service and a warranty through them. Understand that it's through them though, not from the manufacturer. It's how they get their prices so low.

Scubatoys also has several BC's under $250 with their SB discount. And they offer a full manufacturers warranty. And service everything they sell. Call Scubatoys and ask for the the 10% Scubaboard discount, you don't get it ordering online. You even get a $10 gift certificate by posting 10 useful posts on their forum. And $50 more for 250 useful posts later.

Right now they have an Aeris Atmos XT for $225. And several other BC's in the $279 range - less the 10% that's in the ballpark with Tommy D's. And they're all brand names.

And sometimes the mfr's. suggested prices listed on their website are just that, a phone call and you can maybe do even better. I have. They're fair, ship fast and will suggest reasonable alternatives if asked.

Notice that they're "their BC's" I've never seen anyone on a trip (and I look at other peoples gear) with a "Tommy D's" brand BC. They're probably just relabeling some generic wholesale brand.

I guess I have a issue with a dive website that has a link to cashlagoon.com on their homepage - a site that pays for links. And sells the same multi-colored 2nd stages as "regulators"

Also I didn't see any mention of a warranty anywhere. But I didn't look at more than the BCD, regs, and home pages.

I applaud the concept of making low cost gear available but unfortunately DiversDirect and others do it so much better in that area...

If you're trying to save money, consider LeisurePro. They have at least a dozen BC's under $250 from manufacturers you've heard of. And they do offer service and a warranty through them. Understand that it's through them though, not from the manufacturer. It's how they get their prices so low.

Scubatoys also has several BC's under $250 with their SB discount. And they offer a full manufacturers warranty. And service everything they sell. Call Scubatoys and ask for the the 10% Scubaboard discount, you don't get it ordering online. You even get a $10 gift certificate by posting 10 useful posts on their forum. And $50 more for 250 useful posts later.

Right now they have an Aeris Atmos XT for $225. And several other BC's in the $279 range - less the 10% that's in the ballpark with Tommy D's. And they're all brand names.

And sometimes the mfr's. suggested prices listed on their website are just that, a phone call and you can maybe do even better. I have. They're fair, ship fast and will suggest reasonable alternatives if asked.

Yeah, I was checking out Scubatoys since Divinglonghorn has said something. I have seen a lot of great stuff. You make a very valid point about service and warranty. Thanks for the help!!!

Why go with a no-name brand when leisure pro and divers supply.com have brand names for less than Tommy D generic equipment. I've used both leisure pro and divers supply and you can't beat their prices or their customer service.

While I tend to agree that going with the big boys for the customer service is not a bad idea, I can't say anything bad about Tommy D.
They're the folks who brought us the Tripple L BCD's.
I dive a Poseoden TechLift Gravity Zero that I paid a ton for.
I found Tripple L Orion to be the EXACT same BCD.
I think they're made by the same people and badged differently.
YOu might find the same to be true with Tommy D's regs as well.
I haven't checked them out myself but perhaps someone out there might have.
If you have, please post as I know there are alot of companies out there who buy from China or Viet Nam and put their own names on the product.

You never know....these might be the same regs being offered by Dive Rite.....just a different name on them.

hI...
Although you can at times get good stuff from tommy D, (they have well made bcs and thier
wetsuits are OK ,I'd listen to SJSPECKs post as he seems to have hit on all the questions.
For my part, I'd go with lenny at scubatoys or LP......Safe, honest, reliable,cheap, and you get a warranty. my .02 cents

I see this is an old thread but since someone else replied today, I'll add my 3.5 cents...

I have a lot of Tommy D stuff, and like most of it quite well. I found them thru e-bay and bought several things on auction even below their very low prices. Their regs are ok but I personally use them for an inexpensive back up; (I have a back up for everything in case I'm all set to go and something craps out). So instead of having to take time to fix or replace "it" then and there I just use my back up for that dive, which may not be as comforatable or whatever but certainly functional.

Have a couple of suits 1 3X and a 4X womens suit for under $90.00 each, (no complaints), boots, gloves, fins are ok but not quite as good as higher end brands, but are functional. I have and love one of their BC's, being a large mamal these are hard to find at a reasonable price, but I got an excelent one for under $150.00. And my favorite, I got one of their BIG gear bags with boco pockets, pouches, straps and wheels for about $50.00.

I did some research and can't remember exactly but China / Tiwan I beleave is their source.
Please no-body yell at me for trying to save money... I know you have to be careful with you life, we have everything tested before we use it, did a lot of pool and shallow open water with regs and BC.

Did get 1 reg that leaked duuring testing at LDS, exchanged it with no problem (I paid for return postage they paid to re-ship, had size issue with 1 suit (I ordered 1 size too small) and did have to pay $10.00 for their postage/handling but new suit was great.

With complete set of dive gear for 3 including a back up for almost anything (sorry a bit anal on that point) less than half our stuff is from Tommy D, but we like what we have, and all of us have some mixture of Tommy D, Scuba Pro, Sherwood, even 2 still in excelent and useable shape Dacor regulator set ups (yeah it was a pain to get re build kits but I got em). Sure there is better quality stuff, but as long as we're 1. Safe, 2. Havin Fun, 3. Together, and 4. Having Fun Together :); nuff said.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom