Anybody stayed at Kapalai resort off Borneo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I were on Kapalai in May 2000. Quite a while back, so don't know what our recommendation is worth. You may recall that there was a terrorist kidnapping and hostage situation on Sipadan and we arrived just 2 weeks after this happened. Everyone tried to get us to cancel our trip, but we figured we would be safer there than most other places in the area. We were right as the security was really jacked.

The diving was truly great and the staff, food and accomodation was memorable. Not much to do but dive as there is nowhere
to go beyond the boardwalks. After 4 days there, we moved on to Sipadan which was increadable. Pity they closed it down, but I could see that it was taking some strain with, I think 6 dive operators on one tiny island.

I have heard from one source that closing down Sipadan has not had the result that was intended as now there is a lot if illegal fishing in the vacinity and few dive operators to report the culprits. Don't know how true this is.

Hope you have a great and memorable honeymoon.

Alan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom