Anyone been stung by a jellyfish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

they are little buggers aren't they???

I accidentally started a new thread instead of posting a reply to this the other day, as I have seen a new sunscreen mainly aimed at kids, that contains a jellyfish sting repellant!!!:wink:

It uses the same chemical that clown fish use to protect themselves from anemone stings, however I must admit, if they actually kill the clown fish to gather this chemical, then I think I would rather get the odd sting. :rolleyes: I am hoping it is something that can be manufactured.

DiveBunnie- I wouldn't worry about them killing Clownfish, as I don't believe the manufacturers claim.

I've been into aquariums since I was five, and am at an advanced enough level to have bred marine fish (including Clowns) in captivity. I keep up on all the latest research on the subject, and at this point, scientists still aren't sure how that particular mechanism even works. If you can get a hold of a bottle, I'd really appreciate a listing of the ingredients.

To keep on subject. I've gotten stung in the face at least three times in the last two weeks by our local Lions Mane jellies. They start getting abundant in shallow water here at the end of summer. You have to swim a 10 yard gauntlet of them when you shore dive.

Hurts like h*ll for about ten minutes, then goes away fairly quickly.

Don't feel too bad. If I didn't happen to be really well read on the subject, I'd probably have believed it also.

The most prevalent theory is that clowns "sample" their host anemone, and adjust the chemistry in their slime coating. You can watch them doing it when you put a new anemone in the tank. They can't swim right in, but must gently flick themselves against it at first. It's similar to watching someone slowly working their way into cold water. It's unknown whether they fool the anemone into thinking it's touching itself, or if it just neutralizes it's sting defense.

The problem with making a repellent out of it, is that whatever the clown does, it's specific to a single anemone, or group of anemones. If it darts too quickly into a strange host, it can be stung and eaten, just like any other fish.

It does make for some great reading. If you think the anemone relationship is interesting, their sex life is even stranger.

I've got problems with Jellyfish ever since I had one shoot down the back[/] of my swimsuit while bodysurfing years ago. I look back now and laugh because it really must have looked funny for me to be hobbling around weird, but truth be told I'll never forget the feeling that someone had scalded me with boiling water in places that were not meant to be burned! After a LONG and uncomfortable drive, I found my humble abode had a great gallon of white vinegar to which I applied liberally and managed to get to an uncomfortable state of tolerance from that little tentacle tickle. After my EMT class I learned that Meat tenderizer and water works as well.

Here's a reference that is good to add to the back of a logbook for that obscure situation if it occurs.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000032.htm

Quote: "I keep up on all the latest research on the subject, and at this point, scientists still aren't sure how that particular mechanism even works. If you can get a hold of a bottle, I'd really appreciate a listing of the ingredients." a quote from ScottyK's earlier post.

Hi Scotty,
further to the jelly fish protection stuff, funnily enough, I received a free sample with this month's diver magazine, so have taken a closer look. Oddly, the only active ingredients listed are for the sunscreen element, however there is a web-site with a little more info (it is all a bit vague tho):

http://www.zeonhealthcare.com/products-more.asp?id=4

though it doesn't say exactly what they use to protect you against the stings, it says on the packet that it has been tested against sea nettle, atlantic box jellyfish and rhopilema. I didn't see any further mention of the clown fish. I must admit, I am not sure when I shall next be diving in stinging Jellyfish infested seas, so won't be able to see if it lives up to its promise just yet. Anyway, you may find it interesting to try out yourself, as it looks as tho you can buy it on line.
:D good luck!

I have….and unfortunately more than once. It depends on the type (location your diving) In San Carlos, Mexico I was stung by a small bright blue one that decide to lodge itself between my regulator and dive mask. I was told these were called a man-o-war jelly fish, (I never checked to verify) The pain likened to having a branding iron used to permanently apply a moustache.

It hurt like crud! Of course I had just shaved my moustache off for this weekend of diving(and a change of pace) so the upper lip area was tender to begin with. The dive shop(s) around your area should sell a small tube of salve that really helps. I use that. I have been told that applying meat tenderizer helps also, but haven't tried it myself.

When diving in the Arabian Gulf, they had typical clear looking, little annoying jelly fish that just stung like a light burn (like picking up something hot).

The best bet is to use a skin suit and ask locals about the jelly fish in the area. They will know best.

Good Luck, dive safe.
:snorkel: :snorkel:

I have not had the pleasure of any stings myself, but my mother had a particularly unpleasant encounter with a Portugese Man-of-war on her honeymoon (in Bermuda) in the 60s. She became quite entangled in the long tentacles. She did not realize what was happening, and the more she tried to get away, the more she was stung.
She ended up hospitalized for a few days and had observable welts and residual pain for several weeks after returning home.
My parents love to tell how she scolded Dad for reading a pocket novel at her bedside while she was in so much pain. He was quick to point out that she had been sleeping for about 18 hours (from the medication she was put on) and that he was on his second book!

Nothing like spending your honeymoon curled up with a book while your new bride is in another's embrace!

As for teatment, I understand meat tenderizer is best. Unripe papaya also contains the same enzyme and would work in a pinch.

Pacific NW Jellyfish - Lion's Mane

Also known as the Sea Blubber, this guy is BAD NEWS! They're all over the place in the spring, and our problem is this:

- Usually the viz here is in the 10 - 20 foot range
- Lion's Mane Jellyfish can have tentacles up to 30 feet long

So it's REALLY possible to get nailed by these guys and NEVER SEE THEM. Happens all the time, but thankfully we're covered by so much neoprene, the usual place to get stung is on the upper lip between the reg and the mask, and on our cheeks.

See? There ARE advantages to cold water diving after all! :hehe:

The sting usually hurts like crazy for about 15 min, then subsides. No reason to abort a dive for it, unless you have some sort of allergic reaction. We keep vinegar in the Save-A-Dive kit, but by the time we walk out of the water back to our cars, the stinging is gone.

For what it's worth, I'm a DAN Instructor who teaches their First Aid for Hazardous Marine Life class - and what do you think they recommend for the first aid treatment for jellyfish?

Pee? :yuck: Nope.
Meat Tenderizer? :frownshk: Not that either.
Vinegar? :thumb: You got it!

Here's a photo of one of our Lion's mane jellies, with some little fish living within its tentacles!:

One of the basics my OW instruactor covered was "LEAVE THE WILDLIFE ALONE!" He also suggested I venigar in my dive bag, and when a lady wearing a shorty got hit by something, I was her only source of relief.

But then, I always thought he was an excelent instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom