Anyone been to Oronogo lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubagal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Thinking about a trip the first weekend in August to dive Blue Water Lake. Never been there. It's about a 6 hour drive for us each way. Just curious what to expect visibility and temp wise this time of year. Having a bit of trouble finding hotel availability in Carthage/Joplin, must be something going on in the area that weekend. Might end up staying in Pittsburg, KS.

Thanks in advance! :)

Depends on what type of diving you will be doing. If you are going to stay shallow the water will be relatively warm. However, if you are going to go below the thermoclines the temp does not change much regardless of the time of year. Above the clines probably in the 70's, below count on mid to low 50's. The first road bed and the three doors are at about 85' and it will be cold there, but the plane and cars are shallow so should be warm. The thing about Ornogo is the deeper you get the better the visibility. I have been to 120' there in a 7mm and had no problems, but I got myself a drysuit and no looking back.

I was down there 6/25. Water was warm near the surface (70s) and visability was maybe 5-10'. Down near the airplane, it was cold (55-58F) but visability was probably 30-40 ft. My wife had on a 7/5 with hood and gloves and could only take 30-35 minute dives (First cold water dive -- She likes 80+F Carribean waters). We did 2 dives and headed home.

I don't know what caused it but my inst. dove there Saturday (30, July) and said down to about 50' was like diving in 2% milk. No ambient light in the 4 doors at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom