Anyone build their own reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J1M1

Reaction score
Curious to se if anyone has built their own reg and if they had pictures of it. My dive buddy was on a boat where this guy had a backup reg that he said looked like a tin can or something..Didn't even look like a reg. Thanks]
Dive till it hurts,,,,JD

jaydee197:
Curious to se if anyone has built their own reg and if they had pictures of it. My dive buddy was on a boat where this guy had a backup reg that he said looked like a tin can or something..Didn't even look like a reg. Thanks]
Dive till it hurts,,,,JD
I read about a guy that did. Jacques Cousteau.

I don't think it would be possible for a thread not to get hijacked on this forum. Are there not people to prevent this from happening?

ON THE TOPIC at hand.

I've never heard of anyone today that has built their own reg. The cost of tools alone would be far more than buying a new reg every year for 20 years... Unless of course you were suckered into buying a titanium reg every year, but even that may be close.

But if you had all the tools already, and did not copy an already manufactured reg, you would be the shi*... And would most likely sell your patent to a major manufacturer.

Amazing what clothes can do for a man (woman???)

Amazing... Let's get back to the topic at hand..

Start your own threads for pointless discussion.

You mean like this?

Are there any patents still in force from 70's style piston regs? If not, it should be legal to make something like a Conshelf XIV clone. Here's a question: what liability does a SCUBA equipment manufacturer face, in regards to supplying parts for vintage equipment? If a person were to put together a parts package from available o-rings and such, would they be liable for someone getting killed using a home-rebuilt unit?

If I were to try and homebrew a scuba regulator, it would be a simple needle valve feeding an inhale counterlung. If you are sucking the bag empty, open up the needle a bit. If you are bubbling too much out of the overflow, then close it down a bit. PRO: incredibly simple. CONS: have to adjust needle valve manually to compensate for depth and breathing rate changes.

OTOH, it's much easier to homebrew an O2 rebreather. Those were around long before scuba. Too bad you have to get complicated and have a diluent in order to be useful at depth.

I made my own BCD once. OTOH I did work in a BCD factory during that particular summer.

Charlie99:
OTOH, it's much easier to homebrew an O2 rebreather. Those were around long before scuba. Too bad you have to get complicated and have a diluent in order to be useful at depth.

and you still need a reg. everyone I have ever met that took a rebreather class, thinks that they could whip one up in the basement out of whatever is lying around. Well, they think that for the first five minutes of the course anyhow, then you realize just how many more ways there are to kill yourself on a rebreather.

Back
Top Bottom