Anyone build their own reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cancun mark:
And you still need a reg. everyone I have ever met that took a rebreather class, thinks that they could whip one up in the basement out of whatever is lying around. Well, they think that for the first five minutes of the course anyhow, then you realize just how many more ways there are to kill yourself on a rebreather.

Not for a simple O2 RB, like charlie99 suggested. Just breath the counterlung empty and crack the O2 valve to dump more into it. No reg required. Some old military units had a valve that opened when the CL was emptied, but I think they did use some sort of first stage.

Simplest homebrew RB I've seen is a pendulum-style consisting of an O2 bottle with valve, scrubber made from PVC pipe, and hot water bottle for counterlung. Works as long as the diver/designer knows his stuff.

I agree with your inference that education is important, and there are many silent killers in a RB, but an O2 unit doesn't necessarily need a reg.

My dad owned a dive shop and built his own reg once. He used it for a while, but said it didn't match the performance of a manufactured reg, and he would have to take it apart, clean it, and rebuild it after every day of diving (said that got old real quick!). He never did show me how to do it, basically saying it is wiser and FAR more economical to purchase a manufactured reg.

As far as getting parts for a reg, the manufacturers are only required to provide parts for regs up to 12 years after they are made. So if you have a 13-year-old reg that flips out and parts aren't available, you will suddenly find yourself in the market for a new reg. I don't think the manufacturer can be liable for someone "homebrewing" a reg from old parts. It would be similar to going to NAPA, buying the parts for a 67 Ford Mustang, and "holding" Ford liable for any problem with the car. Just my honest opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom