Anyone Dive the Christ of the Abyss?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

13psi

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
[FONT=&quot]I'm heading to Florida in March and would like to hear from people who dove this site. This will be my first ocean dive. Are there any issues I need to worry about? Anyone recommend a dive shop?[/FONT]

Amy Slate's Amoray has always done right by me, each of the two times I've stayed with them.

The dive is a shallow one. Don't sit on or otherwise handle the statue. It's covered with fire coral. If you get away from it, towards the right, the reef is in fantastic shape, and teeming with all sorts of neat critters.

Have fun! :)

Fun dive, shallow. Vis wasn't the greatest (dove it at the end of July) but still a great dive. Was also told about the fire coral but honestly don't remember seeing any (may be caused by my lack of experience with fire coral :). Nevertheless, great idea to avoid touching it anyways... Great time, easy and fun with Ocean Divers or Conch Republic would be my plug...

Last edited by a moderator:
Amy Slate's Amoray has always done right by me, each of the two times I've stayed with them.

The dive is a shallow one. Don't sit on or otherwise handle the statue. It's covered with fire coral. If you get away from it, towards the right, the reef is in fantastic shape, and teeming with all sorts of neat critters.

Have fun! :)

Ditto - many dives at this site and maybe 80 with Amoray's. An excellent dive operation. Christ of the Abyss is a very easy, shallow dive.

Not to get away from the original posters question but, Amy Slate's?? I have had the WORST experiences with them! After the first HORRIBLE experience I talked to the staff and gave them a second chance, guess what?? Same HORRIBLE experience.

As for the dive spot, dont limit yourself to that one spot if you are going to key Largo. There are PLENTY of reefs to dive. The Christ statue is a neat site to see once though. I must've done 50 or 60 dives in Key Largo before ever going to the statue but now I am glad I did. Come to think of it, I dont remember it being covered in Fire Coral. The surrounding reef is nice too.

As already stated, a nice shallow dive. When I was there, it was mostly snorklers.

While not one of my favorite sites, it can provide some good photo ops when the vis is correct.
February_2005_078_copy.jpg

Most of the reef around the statue is pretty beat up. This is a good site if some of your group are snorkelers as the Statue and the reef is quite shallow.

I'm pretty sure Silent World, BlueWater and Island Adventures all go out to this site. I don't know if it's to far North for Conch Republic
Blue Water 305 453-9600
Silent World 305 451-3252
Island Adventures 305 451-4957
Conch Republic 305 852-1655

My advice is that if you have never seen it it is something you need to put on your list if nothing else just to say you have been the the famous Abyss in Key Largo. It is also a perfect place for non divers to be able to see the statue. It's a nice shallow dive and lots of sea life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom