Anyone dive without a BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottB:
Yeah Pete,... I never use air in my BC now anyways.. except when I'm relaxing on the surface.. which is almost never ...
-Scott

Your diving (exposure protection / depth) apparenty does not result in a dramatic change in buoyancy. Nice diving when you can get it. :)

If that's the case then what is the point of this thread, seems like you are already there?

Eh.. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only crazy one :wink: Or that I wasnt making some major error in judgement someplace :wink:

Plus I was bored...

I'd be wary of a thin SS backplate unless it came from someone like DSS, where they have those spiffy anti-chafing grommets in way of the webbing slots.
You can also get a "plastic hybrid plate" from DSS; its buoyancy comes in at under 3/4 of a pound negative.
DSS Hybrid BP

I always guesstimated my normal tidal swing to be around 6 lbs.

Ya know the math may be easier if you just use the metric system where 1 liter = 1000gm. (1 cc = 1 gm). Do yer calcs & then convert grams to pounds.
1 gram = 0.0022 pounds (multiply grams by .0022)
or:
http://www.onlineconversion.com/weight_common.htm
or:
http://www.easysurf.cc/cnver3.htm#gp2

In my initial open water course (a university NAUI Open Water II course, taken in 1986), we were made to practice a skill called "BC Rescue" which involved bringing an unconscious, out-of-air diver up from depth, and swimming him 75 yards to shore while rescue breathing into him. We had to successfully demonstrate this skill during our open water checkout, amid wind-driven waves and boat wakes. This skill left an indelible impression on me: The BC is an invaluable piece of safety gear (for self-rescue as well)!

And, besides, without it how would you bring up that bar of gold bullion you might happen upon?

FWIW

rx7diver:
This skill left an indelible impression on me: The BC is an invaluable piece of safety gear (for self-rescue as well)!
A BC is a crutch for those who do not have strong swimming skills. You would be amazed on the freedom you have without a BC. A properly weighted diver is MUCH easier to bring to the surface and swim to shore. Just drop their tank and what little weight they have and tow.
rx7diver:
And, besides, without it how would you bring up that bar of gold bullion you might happen upon?
easy, it's called a lift bag.

fishb0y:
A BC is a crutch for those who do not have strong swimming skills.

I respectfully don't agree that this is always the case.

fishb0y:
easy, it's called a lift bag.

Do people nowadays who dive without a BC (and without a dry suit) typically carry a lift bag? (In the old days I never did.)

rx7diver:
Do people nowadays who dive without a BC (and without a dry suit) typically carry a lift bag? (In the old days I never did.)
Sure we do. I dive with a reel and a safety sausage in my wetsuit pocket.

Back
Top Bottom