Anyone dive without a snorkel on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like to have a snorkel waiting on the boat to try and catch some big critters swimming by. I am going to purchase a folding snorkel however, I have always hated the thing getting in the way.

Judy and I just changed our reg configuration over to a necklaced secondary and long hose primary (donating the primary to an OOA diver)...hence the snorkel went into out pockets. Kind of hard to donate a routed long hose with a snorkel in the way.

I don't own a snorkel.

I had problems with my snorkel-keeper getting tangled in my hair, so I took it off about 12 dives ago and haven't needed it since. I just use it for snorkeling, not on diving trips anymore.

You've got a very strong opinion about snorkel use that, as you have discovered, runs contrary to that of many highly experienced divers - including not just some instructors but also many (most?) technical divers. You're new to the board and haven't provided any information about yourself which makes it difficult to determine how much credibility to assign to you. Those of us who disagree with you might be doofuses but I'd like to encourage you to establish your bona fides before you call all of us out for high noon shootout.

Personally, I think snorkels present more risk than benefit to most divers. Tangled up in everything, tugging on masks and giving divers a largely false sense of security, etc. If you need to swim on the surface, just roll over on your back and go for it. In some conditions they can be a help but mostly they are, quite literally, nothing more than a drag. I keep one in my bag for snorkeling during surface intervals and to use when teaching classes where they are mandated. Otherwise, I don't use them personally and encourage others to follow the same path.

BiggDawg:
No surprise there, as the above posts would indicate such even if over 100 dives would not have drawn that to the writer's attention already.

However, the fact that many people do it doesn't make it any less dangerous, or more correct; any more than the fact that many people speed on the highway makes it any more correct or less dangerous.

I'd say if you have a decent surface swim to get to where you're going, use it. But personally I took mine off about 10 years ago.

D.

Using snorkel is a safe practice, but on the other hand, it is also uncomfortable and can add to equipment stress or get in a way.
I personally never use snorkel unless for courses.

When I first began diving two years ago I loathed my snorkel. Always getting in my way and pinching my left ear and such. However, all I did was boat dives then, so a snorkel was not of any use. However, now I shore dive a lot and for the surface swim you can't beat a tube to the surface. I would say if you don't like your snorkel and you don't have a surface swim find somewhere to strap it. It doesn't take up a lot of space and it can be useful in a pinch, but it's not necessary to have it strapped to your mask at all times, especially when you're not going to use it.

I use my snorkel all the time while diving....Free diving that is:D

Its nice to be able to keep the face in the water, while catching your breath, when stalking that elusive butterfish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom