Anyone Dove Antartica???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know someone who did this trip. He went on the Russian ship, Gregory Mikheav (I'm sure I spelled that wrong). I noticed your number of dives....this trip is definitely for very exprienced divers who have had a lot of practice diving in dry suits with dry gloves. Water temp was 28. Someone died on the trip the week before his trip and the week after his trip. During his trip, someone fell on the icy deck and busted his head open (he's fine now). They had to do a 48 hour detour to get somewhere where he could be flown out. (Might not want to let your wife read about this!)

He thoroughly enjoyed the trip. He was the only one on the trip who did every dive offered. He thought is was an unforgettable and amazing experience...and would do it again.

Just make sure you are 100% comfortable with your diving skill. This guy is the type who absolutely cannot become stressed underwater...I don't care what emergency or situation you throw at him. He will calmly deal with it. Give him an empty tank, 28 degree water, a ripping current, and an underwater earthquake...and he'd be like, "OK, I am going to do this, this, and this...and then get on with my day".

Before travel companies realized there was a market for this, people wold fly down to Ushuaia, Argentina or Punta Arenas, Chile and buy a spot on a research vessel. The Russkies sounded pretty accomodating when offered American dollars since their economy went to hell after we won World War III (Cold War).
In 2004, I was in Antarctica, but not diving. The wesels are often Russians. Now, the Russians prefer European euros than American dollars, because they are Europeans.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom