Anyone dove with whale sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

so I finally find myself on a liveaboard shortly going to Richelieu rock which I hear is a great spot to encounter whale sharks this time of year. I know the open oceans holds no guarantees. It would be absolutely incredible if I could see one when diving... what are my chances?

Well, there were NO whale sharks at Richelieu rock which was a disappointment. From what I hear they are now exceedingly rare there and the average sighting is only 2 PER YEAR!!! The way the SCUBA industry markets Richelieu rock one would imagine sightings would be much more frequent than that! I hope I can make it to Isla Holbox sometime in the coming years!

I get to go to Utila next week, I sure hope I get to see one!!:D

Well, there were NO whale sharks at Richelieu rock which was a disappointment. From what I hear they are now exceedingly rare there and the average sighting is only 2 PER YEAR!!! The way the SCUBA industry markets Richelieu rock one would imagine sightings would be much more frequent than that! I hope I can make it to Isla Holbox sometime in the coming years!

You should try the hammerhead paradise that is Bohol, Philippines. Plenty resident there in 2000, but an awful lot less in 2003. In 2004 they banned fishing of hammerheads, but only after a two month notice period during which the fishermen wiped out all the last remnants :shakehead:

You might see one migrating through the area if you're lucky, but google the place and what is it still marketing? I'll give you two guesses, and the first don't count.

Philippines can do that dive for you, Duca Bay, Camegian or Cebu, whale sharks are there only a few months out of the year as long as the Japanese don't kill em all off first..... I just relocated to the Philippines from the U.S. and I'mjust 2 hours from Duca Bay, nice place to dive & visit. People are great, prices are excellent, weather is awesome. Unique place to visit, like none other.Email me direct if you are looking for dive shops or dive resorts, Best to stay at a resort and use an outside dive shop for your scuba dives much cheaper

I'm going to the GA Aquarium NEXT WEEKEND!

I'll be diving with my wife and stepmom. We're going with my father and 9yo nephew. He's really into aquariums and the sea turtle hospital at topsail in NC. I'm hoping this will get him interested in scuba diving and maybe his mother as well.

I have future plans for the Bay Islands and Galapagos so I'm hoping to see them in the wild one day. We had considered going back to Cancun to see them but isn't it snorkeling only? I don't wanna get in the water with one and there be 100 vacation snorkelers splashing around and scaring it away. Thats not the kind of encounter I'm looking for. I want the whale sharks to be swimming with me; there to see me as much as i'm there to see them.

A little side note about the captive whale sharks; I have to admit that having to teach them to eat differently and removing their ability to do their mile deep dives changes them. Some people think this is a bad thing. I personally feel that its awareness that is going to save them. What better way to become aware than to be awe inspired by seeing them up close.

Can't wait!

Diving today on The Fork reef in Barbados we had a whale shark circle by and check us out. Pretty much unheard of here till today. Everybody on the dive was so stoked and I was smiling so much the rest of the day I couldn't keep my mask cleared. Awesome and humbling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom