Does hookah diving affect cetaceans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP

44556j

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

If anyone here has dove with dolphins, porpoises, or whales using a hookah system, does the noise and vibrations from the systems bother them or are they unaffected by the noises and vibrations?

Thanks

In California, dolphins seem to be very averse to any kind of bubbles (scuba or hookah). I have had a few encounters freediving but never once on scuba.

In other parts of the world, I have had several encounters with pods of curious dolphins when using scuba.

I attribute it to the growing body of research that different groups of cetaceans, even within the sames species, have their own "cultures."

My experience with dolphins is similar, freediving was no problem, but they did not like scuba.

Unless they're captive (which I would never do, bc its cruel to the animals), what are the chances you will ever even see dolphins, porpoises or whales on a dive? Doubt they would ever come close enough to matter.

Back
Top Bottom