Anyone else like shore dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again, depends on the shore dive.

Indeed ... which is why in my initial post I used qualifiers like "some" and "often" ... and I later defined what I meant by effort.

I've yet to dive on a boat that requires me to walk 100 yards or more in my dive gear ... or surface swim 10 minutes or more to get to where I want to descend.

But this is ScubaBoard ... and some people will find issues with you saying "water is wet" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... seems to contradict what you said in reply #27
In post #27, I was talking about shore dives as I do them. In post #66, I was talking about what I try to avoid when I shore dive.

apparently you do understand why a shore dive takes more effort than a boat dive after all.
I understand why some shore dives may take more effort than some boat dives. I don't agree that shore dives (general) take more effort than boat dives (general), and that was what I was trying to point out in post #27.

Were you just trolling?
I sincerely try to avoid trolling. Just FYI.

As far back as I can remember, I have always looked at the shore and wondered what was below the water.

If there is a place to dive, I would want to dive, just because I want to know what is there.

When I had my own boat it was more work overall than shore or kayak diving.
For me to tow anywhere was at least two hours, plus waiting in line at the ramp (sometimes) plus engine/pump checks the night before, then making sure the wheel bearings and other things were OK. It seemed like the lights always needed to be screwed to get working and bulbs replaced from corrosion.
Then we get up there, finally get out, sometimes the report looked good but it was still too bumpy to go far so we would stay in a cove that we easily could have easily reached from shore.
Then after diving I would have to retrieve the boat. That could take up to an hour if there was a line (sometimes not).
Then tow the boat back home, clean it up, the other guys would bail of course, the rinse down of the boat and trailer to do a thorough job plus flush the motor is an hour. The wife is all pissed off because the day is shot and she didn't get to do anything.
And every time I towed out to the coast my mileage would drop in half, down to 10 MPG. It was never less that a $100 bill minimum in gas alone. If something broke then more money + time to fix it.
All this for two dives.

Shore diving. Get gear ready the night before and load in truck. 5 am hit the road. Get there about 7'ish.
Park in the lot right at the beach. get dressed, walk about 200-500 feet to the water and wade in (depending on the spot).
Another place I can park right on the beach and the water is less than 50 feet away.
Do 2-3 dives easy with lunch in between.
Load stuff, drive home.
Get home early afternoon.
Clean game and gear, have a beer.
Wife's happy, I'm happy.

Kayak: add about 1/2 hour to above with no extra money. More range, better offshore sites, but not as good as I could reach with my boat.

Southern California Dive Boats:

Drive south, about 7 hours on freeway. Get there in afternoon.
Load gear from parking lot to boat with cart.
Go eat dinner and have a beer on the wharf somewhere.
Crash out on boat.
Wake up to breakfast as we are going out to islands. Do three to four dives in a day with meals in between.
Basically dive however you want, they don't care if they know who you are.
Just fall off the boat and enjoy great diving.
Divemasters are there to take your fins off on boarding platform and are filling your tank as soon as you hang the fill tag on it.
Get back to port in evening.
Hit In & Out Burger before hitting freeway.
Hit freeway and get home about 1:00 am.

The boat costs $130 (bunk, air and food included) + $30 tip in jar.
Gas costs me about $150 there and back.

Two day trips are even better.

I was scrolling through the price list thinking that's cheaper than the last place I rented from in Maui. Then I saw the daily rental for a scooter, $2500/day, must be one hell of a scooter.

Obviously a misprint ... they meant to say U/W Submarine ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added June 19th, 2014 at 08:56 PM ----------

In post #27, I was talking about shore dives as I do them. In post #66, I was talking about what I try to avoid when I shore dive.

I understand why some shore dives may take more effort than some boat dives. I don't agree that shore dives (general) take more effort than boat dives (general), and that was what I was trying to point out in post #27.

I sincerely try to avoid trolling. Just FYI.

OK then ... splitting hairs. What I said ... what you quoted me as saying ... "The drawbacks often boil down to the amount of effort it takes to gear up and get in the water."

The term I used is "often" ... not "general".

I can only speak from my experience ... having only done a couple thousand shore dives and maybe a thousand or so boat dives in various parts of the world. Clearly your vast experience (50-99 dives total) makes you qualified to correct me ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have not and never will dive a charter boat... Have my own 16' boat with a 50hp that will take us where we want cheap.... Love shore dives... It's not about money... It's about diving on my own time frame... It's not rules... IT's the pressure of doing it at someone elses speed... It's putting up with others crap....
Jim...

I like shore dives. Boat dives are great too. A Porter makes both of these situations even better.

I mainly dive at my local site. A shore dive with easy entry and mostly easy exit unless the swells get a bit big which can then become interesting as you are holding onto a rock for dear life and seeing a big arsed wave about to smash you. Cost for 2 dives is $15 plus the fuel to get there.

Local boat dives are good but add $60 for the boat trip out.

What I love is my yearly holiday where I get a local porter to be my mate and pay him a bit for me but a lot for him bonus to carry and clean my stuff. Basically when he see's my head pop out of the water in he comes, gets my gear off gives it all a good clean. Awesome stuff :).

Clearly your vast experience (50-99 dives total) makes you qualified to correct me ...

Ok, I'm sorry, and from now on I'll shut up when the grownups are talking. Apparently, I'm not qualified to have any opinion yet, nor ask questions.

EDIT: I asked an honest question, man. Why the snark?

BTW, don't bother answering, I'm outta this thread anyway.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

I can't believe even a benign subject like shore diving finally got a wing shot off and took a nose dive.
Does every thread here on SB finally unravel and go straight down the sewer hole?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom