Anyone else not dive on Sundays?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjens

Reaction score
I don't dive on Sundays for religeous reasons. Generally this isn't a problem, but I am finding it difficult to schedule additional training. It seems that the classes I want to take (AOW, Rescue, DIR-F) generally schedule dives over a single weekend - for obvious reasons. Does anyone else not dive on Sundays, and if so, how did you deal with this issue?

And I hope this is ok from a TOS standpoint, I spoke to Joe Talavera and he was open to scheduling a Friday/Saturday DIR-F class this summer (in Monterey) if I can find a few more divers to take it with me to fill out the class -- if anyone is interested PM me.

Maybe you can go to church on wednesday instead or a night service on sunday. The big man upstairs would want you to be a safe diver and possibly enjoy his u/w work.

Thats just my reasoning.

I also find myself reminding travel agents and customers booking dives and/or classes when they select a religious holiday. Being clear up front makes it easier to schedule appropriately.

When I lived in Malta, most dive shops closed entirely on Sundays. I would guess that there are other diving destinations with similar policies.

WaterDawg:
Maybe you can go to church on wednesday instead or a night service on sunday. The big man upstairs would want you to be a safe diver and possibly enjoy his u/w work.

Thats just my reasoning.

You don't have to go to church to worship, and what better way to praise the lord than to enjoy the great oceans and bodies of water he created and filled with life.

I never go to church and consider myself an extremely religious person. You can go to a church, and listen to the "approved doctrine" and follow a church that has set it's own rules, or you can have a closer, more personal relationship with your higher power. Personally, give me my own dogma, and not the church's approved version of how it should be. Organized religion gave us the crusades, among others, I can't recall my own dogmatic ideas doing that kinda damage.

With all due respect....rjens didn't say he couldn't go on Sunday because he was at church....he said he couldn't dive because of religious reasons. Lots of folks restrict their activities on Sabbath day. The idea is that for one day, you should be focusing your ideas on the Lord and not just on work or your own enjoyment.

I don't know if this is why rjens chooses not to dive on Sundays.....but I do have friends who make choices such as this. And no, saying that SCUBA diving is enjoying what the good Lord made wouldn't make it all right for them <smile>.

Peace,
Cathie

Excellent point, Cathie. It depends on the religious reasons as to if he can make other plans so he can dive on Sunday or is diving on Sunday totally out of the question.

If you can plan around it, the problem can be easily worked out. If not, you can still work it out, but be up front with your instructor. Scheduling is often a problem for students for many reasons. They are usually resolved. Don't give up.

Hasn't been a problem for me. When ever I need to dive over the weekend I just take that Sunday off. However I do understand that while one man holds one day special another holds the whole week special and so each has to follow their conscience in the matter. If you can't dive on a Sunday in faith then don't.

I think it is great that Joe is willing to adjust his schedule if you can get others to take a Friday off of work. Perhaps you should compensate them with the income they will be missing so the sacrifice for conscience sake is yours and not theirs.

I often find myself "limited" in diving on sundays due to going to church services. Thankfully we have an instructor who also goes to services on sunday mornings, and as such we dont get that conflict. Almost all the other instructors and LDS trips around here involve diving saturday afternoons and sunday mornings, which doesnt gel with what we try to do. Even when we travel (inc for diving) we try to find a congregation nearby to worship with. We dont like to forsake the assembling of the saints, but that isnt everyone's cup of tea.

BTW, Wendy, did you and Ben Bright (OBG) get that quote about seeing the things God created from the same source?? Almost word for word exactly what he wrote to me regarding coming down for a trip to the coast with him on a sunday morning!! Just amusing that is all.

Just a point of order though, the Sabbath is actually saturday, that is when the Jews and 7th day adventists worship, however the new covenant/testament does away with that requirement and Jesus's example of having the Lord's supper on the 1st day of the week (sunday) is the reason most Christian groups meet on sundays (either by tradition or to partake in the memorial of His sacrifice (Lord's supper)).

When i first met Walter, i had planned on making it to a congregation near to Venice, but due to unforeseen circumstances (Walter losing his mask, taking a while to get out to dive) i missed that sunday morning. We were to meet around 8-8.30 and i was hoping to leave around 10.20, but didnt end up finishing the dive til around that time. Just because i missed a service doesnt mean i was planning it that way.

This whole thing is not something that cant be worked around though, just see you instructor and discuss it.

simbrooks:
BTW, Wendy, did you and Ben Bright (OBG) get that quote about seeing the things God created from the same source?? Almost word for word exactly what he wrote to me regarding coming down for a trip to the coast with him on a sunday morning!! Just amusing that is all.

No I came up with that this morning while I was responding. I guess great minds just thnk a like.

Back
Top Bottom