Anyone else not dive on Sundays?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

String:
Dont see a problem with it, everyone is entitled to believe or not believe anything they want AND everyone is entitled to an opinion on others beliefs.

Simply stating that you're an atheist and (i) the less people diving on a sunday the better i see no harm with at all.

If someone makes the choice not to dive on Sunday its their decision, those of us taking the opposite viewpoint can benefit from this.

If you're religious and believe it then you shouldnt be insulted by others who dont share the same idea as you.

I have VERY strong views on religion in general and particulary resent it being rammed down my throat (NOT on this board - in general) but im not going to get involved as its not really topical with this post.

My own PERSONAL view (not starting a flame), is i dont believe in any religion, dont see how anyone else can possibly believe in one anyway and i'd dive 7 days a week (and would do 365 days a year if possible!). Im quite happy for others to decide not to but they then cant complain if someone else takes advantage of quieter days/boats.

He didn't simply state he's an atheist as you say in this post. He took a more direct route and, in essence, called anyone believing in 'something'...fools ("figment of your imagination"). I could really care less about who believes what, but DONT insult me or anyone else by saying I have faith in a figment of imagination.
I am not one to cram something down anyone's throat...he has his beliefs and I have mine, however, you don't see me spouting off with reasons why someone shouldn't be an athiest or making insulting comments because of that belief.
This sort of crap doesn't belong on a scubaboard!!

Wendy:
You don't have to go to church to worship, and what better way to praise the Lord than to enjoy the great oceans and bodies of water he created and filled with life.
I know somebody already commented on this... and it is so true! I am truely in awe of the wonders that surround me!

Oh, and to add my 2¢, I dive on my day of worship, that being Sunday. I would rather dive on Saturdays, but sometimes that isn't possible when lining up buddies and all, so I dive when I can and give thanks always.

Robinhood:
He didn't simply state he's an atheist as you say in this post. He took a more direct route and, in essence, called anyone believing in 'something'...fools ("figment of your imagination").

Thats not the impression i got from his post, as i said, he's quite entitled to state his opinion as much as anyone else and from what i can see thats all he was doing- no personal digs or anything of the sort.

If he believes anyone religious is a "fool" as you put it, fair enough, thats his right (personally i agree with him) however i dont see anything inflammatory in his post for anyone to get upset about.

Anyway, this thread is dengenerating and i dont really want to get involved in a flame war so unless anything is addressed specifically to me im going to bow out of this gracefully. Im diving this weekend (sat and sunday) and leave in 2.5 hours. Ive had 0 sleep so far so need to get at least an hour.

String:
Thats not the impression i got from his post, as i said, he's quite entitled to state his opinion as much as anyone else and from what i can see thats all he was doing- no personal digs or anything of the sort.

If he believes anyone religious is a "fool" as you put it, fair enough, thats his right (personally i agree with him) however i dont see anything inflammatory in his post for anyone to get upset about.
Wonderfully stated.

No... it wasn't wonderfully stated.

Let me put this plainly: believe what you want but do not harass others on this board for their beliefs or you will be suspended from Scuba Board. This goes for everyone involved.

And in case you are wondering who decides when it is harassment and when it is merely disagreement let me spell that out as well: I do.

To Rjens and others...

Just want to say...more power to you!! So seldom to see people stand by their convictions these days (particularly in this country). Whether I agree or not (won't say) I really applaud you! Hang in there and hopefully you can find some more people with a compatible schedule.

Talk about much ado about nothin'... what in the world difference does it make why someone chooses not to dive on a particular day of the week - some folks like to worship on Sundays, some have to work; some have traditional family events they don't want to miss, some just want to actually rest one day a week. Doesn't matter...
As an instructor I have three kinds of classes - the ones I schedule and then fill, the ones I fill and then schedule... and private class. You want a special schedule, get the folks together and we'll work out something that fits, or we can do a "private" on your schedule (private class is more expensive).
Bottom line, Rjens is looking for folks who can join him in a class that meets on other than Sundays. This is not unreasonable or even out of the ordinary. His reasons are his reasons. The fact that he's chosen to share those reasons doesn't give some kind of license to criticize them.
Rick

Blue Devil has been suspended from Scuba Board for 5-days.

State your beliefs but don't attack others for their beliefs. If you are unsure as to what this means by all means PM me. Do not argue with me about it in this thread or you will be suspended as well.

The thread is open for discussion of the original topic.

Well, I just read the last page only of this thread.
But, my husband I just talked about the Sabbath last week after church.
He thinks we shouldn't do any work that day. He did site Deuteronomy 5:12.

We didn't talk about diving on Sundays'/ Saturdays' depending on your Sabbath day, but I don't think he considers diving, work.

Just our take on it. Of course I respect everyone's own convictions.

rjens:
I don't dive on Sundays for religeous reasons. Generally this isn't a problem, but I am finding it difficult to schedule additional training. It seems that the classes I want to take (AOW, Rescue, DIR-F) generally schedule dives over a single weekend - for obvious reasons. Does anyone else not dive on Sundays, and if so, how did you deal with this issue?

And I hope this is ok from a TOS standpoint, I spoke to Joe Talavera and he was open to scheduling a Friday/Saturday DIR-F class this summer (in Monterey) if I can find a few more divers to take it with me to fill out the class -- if anyone is interested PM me.

RJENS, I hope you are able to work this out. As an instructor, I have faced scheduling problems with some of my students. In your case, I would try to schedule the class on two consecutive Saturdays, if that is at all possible. Most of us have to work on Fridays and taking a day off for class is a bit of a problem. I know of no training requirement that requires the two days of training to be back-to-back. Talk to your LDS or instructor and see if this is possible. It might make it easier to find other students.

Back
Top Bottom