Anyone else not dive on Sundays?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Imagine a dive instructor trying to organize a weekend course for a group of people who consisted of devout Christians who won't dive on Sunday and Jews who won't dive on Saturday. The logistics would be a nightmare. :11:

Fortunately this isn't a problem for us atheists...the more people who don't dive on a Sunday the better, the charter boats and dive sites will be much less crowded! For me it would be such a pity to miss a great dive for a god who is nothing but a figment of man's imagination. :devil_2:

BD

http://www.the-brights.net/
A bright is a person who has a naturalistic worldview
A bright's worldview is free of supernatural and mystical elements

Imagine a dive instructor trying to organize a weekend course for a group of people who consisted of devout Christians who won't dive on Sunday and Jews who won't dive on Saturday. The logistics would be a nightmare.

What problem? I do not dive on the Sabbath (that is Saturday, the last day in the week. See Genesis 2: 1-3). I have had no trouble arranging dives or training around this. Some few years ago, my LDS in Florida scheduled a complete OW class around the needs of several observant Jews. There was no problem.

Next week I'll be teaching my daughter about the beauty of the Florida reefs. She did her check-out dives on Friday and Sunday. There was no problem.

Happy Diving, whatever day you choose!

One of my students went back to his faith right after his OW checkouts. Now he doesn't dive on Saturday, and I rarely dive on Sunday... :cry:

I don't HAVE to go to church on Sundays, but I WANT to go to church on Sundays! People and God will always come before my needs and diving. I do checkout dives after services Sunday afternoon, but I usually lead a Bible Study Sunday Eves, so I rarely miss that. Yes, I feel close to the majesty of God when I am under the waves, but I feel far closer to him when I study his word. But thats me, and everyone approaches their faith (or non-faith) differently. FWIW, I think God gets the designer of the mellenium award every mellenium... who would a thunk a yellow and purple fish? You go God!

BlueDevil:
Imagine a dive instructor trying to organize a weekend course for a group of people who consisted of devout Christians who won't dive on Sunday and Jews who won't dive on Saturday. The logistics would be a nightmare. :11:

Fortunately this isn't a problem for us atheists...the more people who don't dive on a Sunday the better, the charter boats and dive sites will be much less crowded! For me it would be such a pity to miss a great dive for a god who is nothing but a figment of man's imagination. :devil_2:

BD

http://www.the-brights.net/
A bright is a person who has a naturalistic worldview
A bright's worldview is free of supernatural and mystical elements

Wow that last line was kind of borderline, don't you think? I don't think the idea of this thread was to start a religious war or in your case an argument for atheists. Looks to me like your just trying to start some s***! Why don't you post this kind of garbage somewhere else??

BlueDevil,

It went way beyond borderline. It's insulting to everyone with any religious beliefs.

You are welcome to your beliefs or lack of belief. I promise not to try to convert you or insult you for those beliefs. Too bad to don't have the same respect for the beliefs of others.

Sounds to me like a troll---Trollin, Trollin, Trollin, keep those Trolls-a-Rollin Dipstick!

You are a big boy now you make your own dessions---If you choose to go to church on Sundays fine---If you dont fine--- But dont whine about not being able to schedule classes whenever you want---Also if you want to take a class and it does not fit your schedule hire an instructor to do a private class--pay the extra bucks and be happy---But can have your cake and eat it too... Didnt anyoneone teach you that if you want to start trouble just talk about this stuff!

rjens:
I don't dive on Sundays for religeous reasons. ... Does anyone else not dive on Sundays, and if so, how did you deal with this issue?

i don't believe in god or organized religion, so diving on
sundays is not an issue for me.

i respect anyone who has religious beilefs and makes an effort to live by them, though.

Dont see a problem with it, everyone is entitled to believe or not believe anything they want AND everyone is entitled to an opinion on others beliefs.

Simply stating that you're an atheist and (i) the less people diving on a sunday the better i see no harm with at all.

If someone makes the choice not to dive on Sunday its their decision, those of us taking the opposite viewpoint can benefit from this.

If you're religious and believe it then you shouldnt be insulted by others who dont share the same idea as you.

I have VERY strong views on religion in general and particulary resent it being rammed down my throat (NOT on this board - in general) but im not going to get involved as its not really topical with this post.

My own PERSONAL view (not starting a flame), is i dont believe in any religion, dont see how anyone else can possibly believe in one anyway and i'd dive 7 days a week (and would do 365 days a year if possible!). Im quite happy for others to decide not to but they then cant complain if someone else takes advantage of quieter days/boats.

I too would dive 365/24/7 if i could, but have to earn a living in the meantime to pay for my toys and pleasures.

Around here, sunday is the more popular day to dive. I think it is partly due to people wanting to get things out of the way on saturdays and that leaves sundays free for such things - strange really, i prefer diving on saturdays as it is quieter and i get a whole day at it, but will dive sunday afternoons as i enjoy it. Actually i would enjoy working weekends again and therefore having time free in the week when i can do stuff like dive when its quiet. One of my roommates is fireman, he works (read gets paid to sleep and workout most of the time - i know when he has to work it can be tough) 24hr shifts, but has 3-4 days off per week and many more weeks of vacation- how i wish for that, but not the pay he gets.

As for people denouncing God, if you believe as i do, then you dont get offended anymore as you hear so many people denouncing it just becomes part of everyday life. It is just a view, not saying that i think it is correct, but to each their own. I did notice it more though when i was brought up in the UK - probably not far from String (just over the Bristol Channel - assuming S Wales) and found that 80% didnt believe in God and didnt want it rammed down their throats - my parents and rest of my family are the same way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom