Anyone else with a spouse that won't dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a number of friends that either can't dive of won't dive. One in particular has no desire to dive. She just enjoys going on the dive trips and either lounging on the beach or riding the boat occasionally, but she totally supports her husbands obsession. She is also has and unbelievable amount of dive knowledge.

Ironically, I just got back frm the Florida Keys with my non diving wife!

Let's see...

She goes to the beach, she goes shopping, she seeks out new restaurants, she goes to the pool, she hangs out at the pool's "Tiki bar" talking to other non diving wives!

The best part about it is that she goes to the "foo foo" shops and browses to her hearts content without me going "can we leave yet?" AND if she sees a shop that I'd be interested in (or a shop that she likes that has a shop within walking distance that I'll like) she waits until I'm not diving.

She gave some thought to going out as a "bubble watcher" a few times, but the currents weren't too favorable for her this trip.

It's a really good situation I have with her, she knows I'm doing what I love, and she get's to do what she wants without having to DRAG me along and complain every five minutes!

My girlfriend and I both got certified together. She has some asma/sinus issues, but she manages to jog a couple miles each day. When we went to sign up for OW class she expressed concern about her health issues. I was focused on finally fulfilling a dream and didn't pay much attention to her concerns. She has a tendency of over-reacting / clenching initally on new things. How was I to realize that this was any different. The instructors mention that diving has risks...she was immediately off to the darkside..."I am affraid I may die". This statement didn't raise alarm with myself or the instructors since it is a common enough statement made by everyone during any activity that has risk. Perhaps if she had said it with fear registering in her voice...crying...sobbing...blood curdling scream..anything that betrayed the underlysing emotions and intensity. I don't mean to sound chavilier or dismissive. I have said this a million times during bad airplane flights, travelling in 3rd world countries, New York city cab rides, kayaking, fishing, and my daily commute to the office. Seldom have I sincerely believed and meant it.

Neither I nor the dive instructors heard her...she was fine in the pool and on the cert dives. The only issue during any of this was a minor equalization problem and bouyancy which she worked out. No visible panic or other emotional indicators that would lead one to believe there was a real issue and that she really thought she would die. If it were me and that is how I felt, I would simply say I quit and can't do this...end of story.

The week before we arrive in the Grand Cayman's she get a massive sinus infection that doesn't clear up until a couple of days into the trip. I was taking some advanced classes so her first live dive was without me. We paired her up with a good divemaster...she did 2 dives that morning. On her dives she continued to have some issues with bouyancy and her mask stayed fogged (probably from breathing out of nose). No one on the boat, including the divemaster who had been her dive buddy, had any indication that anything was wrong until they hot the dock and she just about sprinted off the boat. I found her throwing up in the bathroom and curled up in a fetal position in the room.

This was the perfect storm... We now know that (1) she gets sea sick easily and (2) her fear is purely psychological, and not physical. Whenever she puts a regulator in her mouth in comes with overwhelming fear of inpending dooms BECAUSE...she was intubated as a child/teenager. That's right...even on dry land she has to fight off terror with a regulator in her mouth.

No one could have guessed this, and she didn't clearly explain or take measures to ensure her safety. That said, I hear about this every time we have a disagreement about me not listening... I now am a solo diver until I can either find a local buddy.

She is happy sitting on the beach...

It is a dilema, but we get by.

My girlfriend does not and will not ever dive. She is not comfortable in the water, has tried two different adult type swim classes and is done trying to get past her fear of water. She is also too high strung to just hang out on the beach and relax for an entire week. I simply go on dive trips without her. I actually wouldn't want her to come with, as then I would have to be back to meet her at specified times and places. I am free to just eat, sleep and dive. The down side is it does keep me to aprox one dive trip a year, but I am able to do local diving. Her and I will do a non-diving vacation together once a year also.

I have to admit there are times when I think I should end this relationship and find a diver to go out with, but I have never had anyone put up with me so well either, so while finding someone else may solve one problem, it may create another. Which takes me back to where I started, it is a dilema.

Bartimmo: Sorry to hear that you found out the hard way about her fears, but I'm glad she's here to talk about it and didn't have a major issue while in the water. I'll just focus on taking my wife along for snorkeling trips and burger flipping (ha-ha) in the meantime.

My wife does not dive. In fact, she gets sea sick just thinking about it. We use it for away time; much needed in my opion. Plus, it is only one boat fee, one set of equipement. She is fine with it. "Do what makes you happy". Not a guilt trip, but honest fellings. I love that woman.

The do what makes you happy quote.... I love my wife very much, although she is a nondiver. Anywho she is very good at throwing that in there, when I want to do something that I know for a fact she doesnt like. New fish in the tank, more motorcycle rides... etc etc. But everynow and then she throws a sincere one in there hhaha

When we went to sign up for OW class she expressed concern about her health issues. I was focused on finally fulfilling a dream and didn't pay much attention to her concerns.
. . .
She has some asma/sinus issues, but she manages to jog a couple miles each day.
. . .
.she was immediately off to the darkside..."I am affraid I may die".

Depending on the cause and severity,asthma, allergies and chronic sinus problems are all contraindication for SCUBA diving as are various mental problems. They're all covered on the Medical Statement that each of you signed.

If instructor was doing his job, any of the things she mentioned would have required a doctor to sign-off before training started and none of this ever would have happened.

Additionally, the instructor should have asked "Why to you want to dive" and if the answer is "Because my boyfriend wants me to", she never should have been admitted to the class.

Whenever she puts a regulator in her mouth in comes with overwhelming fear of inpending dooms BECAUSE...she was intubated as a child/teenager. That's right...even on dry land she has to fight off terror with a regulator in her mouth.

No one could have guessed this, and she didn't clearly explain or take measures to ensure her safety. That said, I hear about this every time we have a disagreement about me not listening... I now am a solo diver until I can either find a local buddy.

This should have been identified during her first or second class, and she should have been given a refund and an apology by both you and the instructor.

Terry

I am in a similer issue kind of. Me and my dad are going in march to get our ow cert. One issue has been my mom will not do it. I really to not think she could she is not much for inclosed spaces she does not like the ocean. And she is not in the best of health. WE have had some trouble finding something for her to do during the 5 days we will be going through every thing.
My dad does alot of stuff she does not. Normaly she does something else or he just goes out on his own.

My husband started diving before I did because I always ended up "knocked up" and could not go. I enjoyed going with him and would go to a spa for the day or sit around the pool, read on the beach etc...... I guess it all depends on what she is in to.

I would not get a new wife, if I can be trained anyone can be. :)

Kim

I realized a long time ago that there had to be a balance. I am able to dive often on weekends while my wife does whatever she does.

On vacations, we pick places that have a mix of activities. I do not go exclusively to dive the entire trip, there has to be some other activities of interest. So the Hawaiian Islands have a good mix of activities. We have been to Cozumel twice, it is unlikely I will return because she has seen most of the island. Grand Cayman is next, Belize after that, Bora Bora is on the list, lately she has been looking at Thailand. A few days diving and several days of cultural experience is okay with me.

The second thing that happened was we developed a travel group, it fluctuates between 6 & 10 people. Most dive, not all. Most are women. Not everybody feels like diving every day, so there is always someone to hang out (go site seeing) with. I plan on diving on every shopping day. Diving is usually a shorter day than the shopping day, so I am the one reading a book by the pool when she gets back. My dive trips are usually less expensive than her shopping.

Back
Top Bottom