Anyone ever dive in Cheat Lake (Morgantown, WV)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Harry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has anyone even been diving in Cheat Lake near Morgantown, WV?

Where is the best place to go?

Temps?

Viz?

Has anyone even been diving in Cheat Lake near Morgantown, WV?

Where is the best place to go?

Temps?

Viz?

I have made two attempts at Cheat Lake. Once off of someone’s boat dock, zero vis and pretty stiff current for a lake. That dive lasted 6 minutes at 15 feet.

Second attempt was off the rocks by the old iron bridge, under I 68 bridge. I could see my hand in front of my face that time, still pretty stiff current, but could only get 10-12 feet.

Temps are the same as the other “normal” lakes around here, 70s at surface.

Cheat Lake has high boat traffic and is pretty shallow in most areas, very limited shore access. I think there is an ordinance against shore entry swimming.

One place I would like to try sometime is by the old stone bridge, now demolished, but it is hard to get too, very limited parking and you would need a rope to get in and out of the water, very steep bank.

A boat would be the best way to try Cheat. It is a bummer for me, as I only live about 10 minutes away, and cross the lake on my way to Mount Storm all the time.

We have dove in the Cheat River at Point Marion, below the dam. Again, steep access, shallow water and low vis.

There are two holes in the Upper Cheat, one called Blue Hole, and the other Bull Run, both have very good vis but again are shallow and hard to get to. Both are popular swimming holes and lots of goodies can be found at the bottom. Worth doing for the BTDT (been there done that) feature.

Thanks for the info!

I think I'll stick to the unlimited visibility (6 feet) at Tygart Lake. It's closer to home and there's not much boat traffic.

Thanks for the info!

I think I'll stick to the unlimited visibility (6 feet) at Tygart Lake. It's closer to home and there's not much boat traffic.

Tygart is much better with the unlimited vis. :rofl3:

Do you dive at Pleasants Creek? Found any other shore entries there?

We have been diving Tygart off of my buddies boat.

I've tried diving at Pleasant Creek/Henderson Rocks twice.

Both time the viz was about 1 foot.

I stopped going there, now I dive at the boat ramps by the marina. I set up my dive flag further in the cove south of the ramps, out of the way.

The rangers at Tygart told me that I could dive there as long as I stayed out of the way. They even told me I could drive down the boat ramp to unload or load the cylinders.

I dove at cheat two weekends ago, viz was 12-15 feet. Surface temp was 82 and it was an unbelievable 77 degrees at 35 feet! I have a pontoon on the lake, it is definately the way to go (you can rent them at sunset marina). I did a night dive at the demolished bridge, there is a truck leaning against the headwater side of the center peer, along with part of a guardrail. I heard there is another vehicle there but I did not see that. There are quite a few creepy saplings still standing up from when they clearcut the valley before they filled the lake 80 some years ago. Next we drift dove in the headwater, that was pretty cool. A note: even if you have a float be extremely careful and do not dive in the main body of the lake on weekends. The lake is extremely busy on warm summer days, lots of drunks and morons. I came up once in the river right next to my float which says "diver below" in 4" letters and there was a boat 10 feet away. Guy said he was reading it! Anyhow we went back to where the picnic area is by the demolished bridge, the shoreline is extremely steep and drops off to around 60 feet (the lakes max depth is 80 feet). More creepy saplings there and quite a few fish.
There are also freshwater jellyfish in the lake. I have only ever seen them from the boat, they are the size of a quarter with tentacles about .25" long.
Oh, also a couple towns were covered by the lake, I don't know where but there may be a foundation or two somewhere out in the main body of the lake.

Thanks for the report WildBill. I would like to try the cheat again sometime.

A few years ago we used to see some fresh water jellyfish in Mount Storm, about the size of a dime.

There are boaters and jet skiers up there that don't respect the flags either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom