Question Anyone ever had an incident because they serviced their own gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No worries Angelo you have 4 more left! It is amazing looking back on youth and some of the stuff done having survived.
and with all our appendages, Insh'Allah.

Are there any other brands apart from DGX and Deep 6 that provide service manuals to the public, without needing to be a dive store or have done their training courses?

Yeah I can see that

I'm missing a bit of one pointy finger, and substantial parts of my mind.

Yeah you don't really strike me as an accusatory type guy

the same lecture about how untrained divers should never attempt to service their equipment, its a great way to die, your an idiot if you try etc etc.
Personally, I view this lecture as the exact same as the dozens of times I heard "support your local dive shop" when I took my open-water class. The dive agencies and dive-shops are working together to make more money. I'm sure most local-dive shops aren't making huge proffits, but I can also call ******** when the owner at a LDS claims he makes no money off doing annual VIPs for $35 per tank. I took the PSI course, and know it's practically printing money at those prices.

As far as accidents for servicing your own equipment, I do have one incident (no injury). I had heard instruction that you're only supposed to hand-tighten regulator hoses. What resulted, is a hose came loose at my 2nd stage regulator (more info here). Of course, swapping regulators and hoses isn't really "servicing your own gear," and this occurred before I learned to service my own regulators.

By contrast, because I learned to service my own regulators, it allowed me to dive with redundant air at budget prices. I bought some inexpensive Mk10 and G250 regulators used, serviced them myself, and even if I screwed up the servicing somehow, not a problem, I have a backup plan.

As far as accidents for servicing your own equipment, I do have one incident (no injury). I had heard instruction that you're only supposed to hand-tighten regulator hoses. What resulted, is a hose came loose at my 2nd stage regulator (more info here).
Hex nut or the "splined" nut by Scubapro (which was the only one actually designed to be hand-tighten, being further covered by their rubber protection which avoids unwanted unscrewing)?

Hex nut or the "splined" nut by Scubapro (which was the only one actually designed to be hand-tighten, being further covered by their rubber protection which avoids unwanted unscrewing)?
The advice I remember never mentioned Scubapro, the splined nut, or any rubber protectors. It merely said "hand tight."

It was on a set of Apeks regulators I was using at the time, with a "regular" hose/nut/etc. I've mostly used ScubaPro regs since the incident, but mostly because I know how to service them.

Yeah you don't really strike me as an accusatory type guy
The table saw won.
Are there any other brands apart from DGX and Deep 6 that provide service manuals to the public, without needing to be a dive store or have done their training courses?
Not that I know of!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom