Anyone ever heard of High Pressure Engineering Co.?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrf

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I found a compressor locally and am trying to gather information to make an informed decision. The price is $900
Manufacture: High Pressure Engineering Co.
Model Name: Tornado
Model Number: HPE-3000-6-3 (makes me think it is 3000psi)
It is a small portable electric scuba compressor
Black in color.
Looks old
The owner does not have a lot of info but is real nice and would refund money if it broke.
I would like to know if anyone can service it. If parts are available. That type of thing.
Thanks in advance!
Damien
HPE3000.jpg

Torando

Posted picture is too small and unable to identified if it's same as what I have been seeing one.
KIDDE-torando.JPG

If it's identical then the compressor head is Walter Kidde.

I found a compressor locally and am trying to gather information to make an informed decision. The price is $900
It is a small portable electric scuba compressor
Black in color.
Looks old
The owner does not have a lot of info but is real nice and would refund money if it broke.
I would like to know if anyone can service it. If parts are available. That type of thing.
Thanks in advance!
Damien
HPE3000.jpg

Is a Walter Kidde Good?
Are there parts out there?
Is it easy to get service?
How hard would it be to replace the whole compressor unit if need be

High Pressure Engineering used to advertise in SDM in the 1960's. In those days, there were many small companies which sold repackaged military take outs. HPE was somewhat different from the others as they sold more than Walter Kidde or Cornelius assemblies, they offered larger compressors as well. With this particular unit, parts are hard to come by. However, unless the oil pressure has crashed, there is a good chance that this unit can be brought to life. What that will take depends on the storage period. If the Kidde has been setting for like 20 years it may be that the 3rd and 4th stg pistons are stuck. I can't speak to the other components but storage may not have adversely affected them. If you buy the compressor (or not) you may wish to visit the Kidde discussion group over at Yahoo. Judging from the picture one is to presume that the compressor turns over and attains rated pressure. If so, you might want to open an oil cap or check the blow-by vent to see if a lot of gas or oil is shooting out. If not, the compressor may be good to go. Used pumps go for 250-400 bucks depending on model, etc but they are getting harder to find. Is yours a 4 cfm or 2 cfm? What is hp of motor? I must say that the overall construction of the assembly looks good. The filters may be worth almost as much as the asking price.
kidde-compressor-folks : Military Surplus HPA Compressor Folks

After looking at it again, I agree with Peter, eg, no way for me to confirm the type of pump from that picture. All I see is a black blur. Rorschach test?

Its an electric motor. 15amps at 240volts. Not sure about the HP The filter was in great shape. It had a new cartridge in the housing looks almost like it had been replaced. D

The motor is probably 3 hp. The rule is 1 cfm/hp. So, I would guess the pump is 3 or 4 cfm. You need to get some data off the pump for an ID.

All I could find on the pump was on the fan cowling and thats what I put up there in the first post. It was full of oil and the guy said he had checked out when he bought it A while back.

Well, I can't help without more info. A decent pic might help. For entertainment purposes I can offer the following: HPE was located in Oklahoma City. Their 3 cfm mods were the Typhoon and the Tornado. The compressors were four stage, 3000 psi nominal and electric motor drive. They installed sophisticated filtration, especially for that time. The Typhoon was intended for fire depts and had automatic controls for continuous operation, filling banks and so forth. The retail for the Typhoon was $790 and the Tornado about 150 bucks less (1964). WRT to inflation, I would put the current equivalent price at about 8 X that amount. As you can see, compressors were pricey. By contrast, the Aqua Products Cornelius conversion sold for about $160-250 but could go higher if a new, vice surplus, pump was specified in the order.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom