Anyone ever heard of High Pressure Engineering Co.?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"You need to get some data off the pump for an ID."

What kind of info do you need and where on the pump would I find it?

In Regards to this statement "If so, you might want to open an oil cap or check the blow-by vent to see if a lot of gas or oil is shooting out." are you referring to the pump or the motor? If you are talking about the pump then how do I go about this procedure. D

There is no oil tank or blowby source on a motor. The pump(compressor) produces high pressure air by compressing in four stages. At each stage, but particularly the first stage, some air is forced past the piston and ends up in the crankcase. This excess air has to be vented somewhere. A typical blowby value would be 0.2 cfm, less than 10%. On the late model Kidde (if that is what it is) blowby gas is vented through the splined drive. Under the crankcase flange, there is a vent hole which is threaded 9/16-20. There should be an AN flare fitting threaded into this hole. It would be normal practice to install a small hose on this fitting to route blowby gas to a place where it can be measured. If no measurement apparatus is available it might be sufficient to put a finger over this port and guess the amount of air coming from the vent. It may be small, that is good. It may be large and accompanied by oil mist, that is bad. Depending on the type of oil cap and its location it may be possible to unscrew this and check blowby. However, it is also possible that some oil will squirt out without telling you much.

Good morning guys, seems we meet on several sites. High pressure engineering in Oklahoma manufactured these units for many years. It is a two cfm Walter Kidde mounted with a direct drive spline mounted on a solid shaft. The man who built these was Noel Hanson. The compressors are an early version of the 2cfm and were originally rated at 2200psi but the designis the same as the 4 cfm only with the modified scotch cam so the stroke was shorter which reduced the cfm. No reason this won't pump to 3000 psi and if the pistons are not rusted they can be cleaned just like the 4cfm. Not a bad unit -- Noel sold well over 100 of these units. In the mid 60's I know he bought over 200 of these unit surplus for about $25 each. He sold a few to diver to modify themselves for $125.00 each like Kidde-compressor group.

Jim Shelden
sheldensportinggoods.com

Reviving old thread with similar HPE compressor!

Hi I'm new and saw your forum. I just bought this compressor, and was wondering if anyone could tell me about it. I originally bought it because it was cheap, and thought I could adapt it to fill paint ball tanks (new sport I'm getting into). But I want to make sure everything is okay with it, and I do the proper maintenance on it before I do so. I'm a pretty handy mechanic on every car I own including a AMG Mercedes I own now. But I'm not to proud to ask questions to the guys who know about this field, obviously I don't. I've included these photos of the compressor from the guy I bought it from. He was given the unit from an old firefighter. They used to refill the breathing tanks with it. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated including where I could get the service data to do the maintenance to it. Thank you in advance!
For some reason these photos are small even after I tried to enlarge them, so if you can not see these please go to this Picasa link where these exact photos are so you can blow them up to examine them.....sorry for the inconvenience! When you go to the site just click on the photos and they will show in another screen where there's a small magnifying glass above them you can click on to enlarge and blow them up. Here's the link:

https://picasaweb.google.com/103559...&authkey=Gv1sRgCPL44_C3ltb4Sg&feat=directlink

Whirlwind.jpg
wwc2.jpg
wwc8.jpg
wwc3.jpg
wwc4.jpg
wwc5.jpg
wwc6.jpg
wwc7.jpg

Well guys no one wrote but I got my answers on another forum. I do appreciate you letting me post here anyway.

I was going to tell you who to send a pm to but then realized you had posted in the yahoo group and had your answer. Glad you got your answer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom