Anyone Familiar with Zeagle Express Tech BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mm2613

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm new to diving, and considering purchasing some gear. I'm a minimalist at heart, and feel like the bp/w type rig would be right for me. I was certified using a larger steel bp/w and had no issues.

I came across thiz zeagle setup which looks pretty cheap for a full setup. Anyone hear anything good or bad about this product?

Also, I'm 6'1'' and ~200lbs; anyone know if I would need a larger wing than what comes on this model? (comes with 24lb compact bladder).

Finally, there is an option for Zeagle rear weight pockets. I'm not familiar with rear weight pockets.. are they better/worse/different from front weight pockets? What would be the ideal weight distribution/setup for a rig like this?

If anyone wants to check out the setup, scubatoys has it.

Thanks,
Mike

I ran across this one a month or 2 ago on ST & was wonderin' about it too(as just an extra BC)............Concerning the bladder, for about a year and a half I have used the Zeagle Scout(rear inflate) BC with a 24 lb bladder----floats me & all my gear just fine with up to a 5mm wetsuit & 80 Al tank(with about 15+ lbs of weight) in freshwater or a 120 hp steel tank with up to a 2mm shortie, skins, & occasionally a 2mm chicken vest plus a few lbs of lead in warm saltwater.....I'm 5'10" about 200+ lbs.....

EDIT: here's a link to the Scout with specs(click on 'features').....

http://www.leisurepro.com/prod/ZGLSC.html?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=ZGLSC

For the record, there is also a 35lb and 44lb lift bladder available for the Express Tech!!

Pretty cool little BC, in my biased opinion!!

:wink:

I'm not familiar with this rig but one of my dive buddies use the Zeagle Ranger. The rear weight pouches act as trim weight pouches.

My LDS uses them for classes - cheap but very customizable. Get the shoulder pads! It's a cool idea that I don't think any of the other mftrs are using. Kinda tech, mostly inexepensive but lots of add-ons to make it whatever you need.

I have just started using one (been diving a Scout for years so I have experience with a similar BC). So far so good. I purchased it for a couple of special applications, namely travel and for use with an old double hose reg. It packs super small, weighs in at 4 lbs with 3 added D ring and is plenty comfortable above water. Like any BC with just webbing for straps it a little rough on the shoulders with no wet suit but not bad. I have used my Scout which has a 35lb wing for everything from warm water Tshirt dives to a dry suit. If you intend to dive a drysuit or steel tanks a 35 may be a good idea but otherwise the 24 is fine (I have a small bladder - around 15-18 lbs that I dive on the Scout most of the time). My Scout only has the rear pockets for a weight system. I find them fine as long as your weight does not exceed 10 lbs, then the BC wants to turtle with you. It's not a problem for me because I rarely use more weight than that and if I do (dry suit) I just add more on a weightbelt. Because I use it for warm water travel and double hose diving where I do not normally use much weight I do not intend to add the weight systems. I will put on a weight belt if I need to. As an added bonus if you want to do some truly minimalist diving, the bladder is very easy to remove and is not needed to dive the remaining BP/harness- a big plus for me because most of my DH diving is done without a bladder. Just in case any DH divers are interested it does well with a DH if you add a crotch strap and a couple of weight keepers on the shoulder straps to keep it from riding up. I would suggest you add a crotch strap to it but that is very easy and just a few dollars. (Scott, that would be a nice addition to the basic BC package). Bottom line, so far I am happy with it.

I'm thinking about one of these as well.

I've been living in the Caribbean for seven years, the first five as an instructor, and am still using an old rear-inflation thing (which hasn't had a puff of air in it for at least 3 years) that's missing it's weight pockets but works with a pair of 2-pounders, one in each trim pocket.

I really don't have any reason to replace it, but it's always fun to have a new piece of kit. I dive in nothing but swim trunks and really like the minimalist approach, so this rig looks just right to me.

I'd need to get a couple rear-mount weight pockets and maybe a small utility pouch for the belt, but that should do it. I'm assuming that one does not need the shoulder straps and back pad?

-Doc
Saba, NA

I'm thinking about one of these as well.

I've been living in the Caribbean for seven years, the first five as an instructor, and am still using an old rear-inflation thing (which hasn't had a puff of air in it for at least 3 years) that's missing it's weight pockets but works with a pair of 2-pounders, one in each trim pocket.

I really don't have any reason to replace it, but it's always fun to have a new piece of kit. I dive in nothing but swim trunks and really like the minimalist approach, so this rig looks just right to me.

I'd need to get a couple rear-mount weight pockets and maybe a small utility pouch for the belt, but that should do it. I'm assuming that one does not need the shoulder straps and back pad?

-Doc
Saba, NA

Doc, after a good many dives in mine I still like it. If you care to go minimalist, the bladder comes off very easily which is the way I dive mine anytime the dive nannys are not around. I have also found a slick (cheap :) ) way of attaching weights if you don't mind them being non-ditchable. I have made a simple weight intergration system using 4 of the Zeagle sexbolts and 2 lengths of weight belt webbing. You will have to determine how much webbing you need by threading it through your desired sized weight, placing it on the backplate and marking where the holes need to be. I used about 6 inches of weight belt material on each side, putting a hole in one end and 2 holes in the other end of each piece of webbing. The end with the 2 holes allow me to use different sized weights, I just select the correct hole. To install it, you attach one end of the webbing into one of then 2 grommented holes on each side of the backplate, thread the webbing through the weight of your choice and then using one of the 2 holes in the webbing attach it to the back plate using another sexbolt. I would not recommend this for a lot of weight but for the 4 lbs (2x2) I use in warm water it works great. It could also be used as trim weights along with a weight belt.

Back
Top Bottom