anyone good at dealing with car sales guys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wrybosome

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
OK, my beloved old POS finally needs more work than is sensible and I'm in the market for a new car. Before the feds got involved, I was the cash for clunkers program but now I'm looking to get an inexpensive new car. Never bought new before and I'm trying to deal over the interwebs because I'm a lousy negotiator face to face.

I'm looking at a Mazda 3. To put that in perspective, my old POS is a '95 Prizm that I've had since 2000.

If you're good at dealing with these guys, tell what I should watch out for and what I should be saying back. If I'm ever diving diving with you the beer's on me...

Yes: I freely admit I suck at this, and it's not the BMW M5 I'd secretly like.

Negotiations:

Sent: Friday, September 17, 2010 8:40 PM
To:

No, the color's not imoprtant enough to me for a deposit. What's on the lot in that trim? I'm looking to buy in the next week.
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2010 8:10 PM
To: xxx, Timothy
Subject: RE: RE: FW: Response from XXX Mazda

Tim,

I don't have that vehicle on my lot but can get it here in a few days. To do that I would need a deposit on the vehicle.

Would you want to do that so you don't miss out on that price?

Chris
Internet Manager
xxxxx Mazda

Sent: 9/17/2010 8:06 PM
To:
Subject: RE: FW: Response from xxx Mazda

Chris,

Do you have that on the lot in copper red mica?

Tim
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2010 6:29 PM
To: xxxxx, Timothy
Subject: RE: FW: Response from Piazza Mazda

Tim,

A 2010 Mazda 3 I Touring Manual has an MSRP of $18,675 and our Internet Selling Price for this vehicle with 0% for 60 months is $16,860 plus tax and tags.

Please let me know what color you're interested in. We are running this special until Monday so please let me know if you're interested.

Thanks,

Chris xxxx
Internet Manager

Hi Chris,

Thanks for answering.

1. Were you looking to Purchase or Lease?
Purchase.

* Purchase for 36 months, 60 or 72?
60 months

1. Did you have a specific Trim in mind? Sport? Touring or Grand Touring? Automatic or Manual Transmission?
Would prefer standard shift on the 3i touring trim.

2. Any specific Options or Package?
No.

3. Would you or anyone in your current house hold be a Mazda Owner? Or would you or anyone in your current house hold work for a supplier for Mazda or Ford?
No.

4. Do you have a Trade in? If yes, what Year, Make and Model? How many Miles?
No. I'll be selling the old car.

5. Is a Test Drive important to you?
Somewhat. I've driven the 3 series before and would just need to see that there's nothing wrong with the specific vehicle.

Thanks, Tim
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 8:37 PM
To: xxx, Timothy
Subject: Response from Piazza Mazda

Hello Timothy,

I am in the process of finding the vehicle you wanted. I do have a couple clarifying questions that will help me find what you are looking for.

1. Were you looking to Purchase or Lease?

* Purchase for 36 months, 60 or 72?
* Lease for 24 or 36 months and how many miles per year? 10k, 12k or 15k?

1. Did you have a specific Trim in mind? Sport? Touring or Grand Touring? Automatic or Manual Transmission?
2. Any specific Options or Package?
3. Would you or anyone in your current house hold be a Mazda Owner? Or would you or anyone in your current house hold work for a supplier for Mazda or Ford?
4. Do you have a Trade in? If yes, what Year, Make and Model? How many Miles?
5. Is a Test Drive important to you?

Agree, make sure you know what the best walk in deal would be for the car.
Have purchased many new cars and bikes for friends and myself, and keep to the following rules of engagement.

1. Never give the impression that you really want a particular car initially.
2. Always know exactly how much you are willing to spend before you go into negotiations and stick to it. IF they ask the figure, give them $2000 less than your true one.
3. My best deal was made telling the salesman I wanted the smaller version. By the time he did the pitch and 'sold' me the bigger model (the one I really wanted) I had a very good deal going.
4. Don't be threaten by the deal is only till .......?? Believe me everyone says that, even in Aust, standard stuff, remember the more time the saleman invests in the sale the more HE WANTS the sale to go through. And if that was his best price today, I am sure the place down the road will match it tomorrow.
5. Those extras cost little to the dealer. Get as much thrown in as you can, even if it makes you look a bit hard and he tells you how you are really screwing him on this. again, standard stuff...for a salesman to say, they learn the phrases, so don't let it intimidate you or feel sorry for him.
6. You will know when he has reached the wall, if you suggest a price and he says, I better check this out with my manager, and comes back with an offer that mets you half way.....don't do it.....wait......show disinterest, say you need to think about it, leave the office for a little and then come back and make your final offer. this should be just a little over what you have previously offered to pay. If he is running to form, he will come in close on that, certainly will be better than the first offer after seeing his manager.

Best of luck

Use the internet like D_B said to see what others are paying. According to what I'm reading out there, he's a bit high on MSRP, but there may be additional options. Invoice is around $17,000. It sounds like a good price, BUT............

Shop multiple dealers via the internet. You're in Philly, so that's good. You can shop in PA and NJ. Lots of dealers to play with, sorry..shop at. You've got the ball rolling. You have a firm price from dealer #1. Now take that number and play dealer #2 off dealer #1's pricing. Continue like that with multiple dealers until you arrive at what you feel is a fair price. Make sure you tell them that YOU ARE VERY BUSY AND DON'T HAVE TIME TO COME IN AND TEST DRIVE OR SPEAK TO ANYONE. YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT. YOU NEED A FIRM PRICE FROM THE SALES MANAGER, AAAAAAND YOU WILL BE BUYING THIS WEEK. Yes, it's a pain in the ass to call around and email, but you will save thousands off sticker. I have bought or leased all my vehicles like this for the past 12 years or so. If you're not eventually dealing with a sales manager or GM, chances are you're paying too much.

BTW, Don't give any deposits to anyone until you're happy with the price and that price is on paper along with the terms of the deal including interest rate. I almost walked away from my last purchase because the finance manager was trying to tell me that my credit came back as less than perfect, so he would have to charge me two percent more. I got up and headed for the door. He quickly gave me some line about using his dealer finance coupons to adjust the points out of the loan. They're more slippery than fish. Good Luck!!

At closing, don't be buy extended warranty, credit life, paint sealing, or rust proofing, they are high dealer profit ripoffs.

I had a friend who bought an engine shampoo once. It was a friend. Seriously!

Thanks for the advice guys.

Agree on all but the extended warranty. If you are not going to keep the car for longer than the manufacturer warranty its just a waste of money. But if you are going to keep the car until you hit 100K thats how long most warranties are, you may benefit from a warranty. I did and other I know did. The are not rip off like they used to be. If you are like me and like the piece of mind go for it. Just make sure you are aware of what is covered.

At closing, don't be buy extended warranty, credit life, paint sealing, or rust proofing, they are high dealer profit ripoffs.

One point .. some manufactures (GM for one) now have standard a 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty that is transferable

and if you do get an extended warranty, be very careful of what/who's you get , read what they cover and don't cover and compare them .. (GM's (GMPP) extended warr is very good, some aftermarket ones are a waste of money and might not be accepted at an auto repair facility )

I doubt I'd do the extended warranty. Like I said, I've always had older cars and I'm pretty comfortable fixing most thongs on them.

Nice idea about shopping the estimate around, I'll be doing that today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom