Anyone had a chance to try out the new Aeris Accel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it possible for the heel straps to tear or dry-rot near the attachment point? Would it be smart to pack an extra heel strap on trips? I have not had a chance to play with them, but I'm very interested.

I imagine if you didnt rinse your fins in fresh water and left them out in the sun for long periods of time, they would eventually dry and crack. I bring an old pair of APS Mantaray straps (same design) with me. They weigh almost nothing and take almost no room in your luggage.

Is it possible for the heel straps to tear or dry-rot near the attachment point? Would it be smart to pack an extra heel strap on trips? I have not had a chance to play with them, but I'm very interested.

Absolutely.

Aeris Accel Fin Color Kit discounts on sale Aeris

---------- Post added March 6th, 2014 at 07:14 PM ----------

I mean absolutely pack a spare set not that they will rot, although given enough time they will of course eventually break.

I seriously doubt it, they are not neoprene rubber, they are silicone. A spare pair is cheap. The whole point of a travel fins is reduced weight and bulk. My spring straps fit them fine but increase weight and bulk. If I am going to do that I will just go ahead and stuff my full size Mares Avanti Quattro somewheres.

N

Kharon, have you ever tried Aeris' Mako fins? If so, how would you say they compare to the Velocity? My major concern with the Velocity is the "air holes" along the blade of the fin. It looks like it would create drag rather than avoid it to me.

And have you tried the dolphin kick with any of your Aeris fins? I'm looking for a new pair of fins and the Scubalab review from 2013 included really good marks for the Mako. And since I prefer the dolphin kick, I was wondering how other types of Aeris measured up. Thanks!

Kharon, have you ever tried Aeris' Mako fins? If so, how would you say they compare to the Velocity? My major concern with the Velocity is the "air holes" along the blade of the fin. It looks like it would create drag rather than avoid it to me.

And have you tried the dolphin kick with any of your Aeris fins? I'm looking for a new pair of fins and the Scubalab review from 2013 included really good marks for the Mako. And since I prefer the dolphin kick, I was wondering how other types of Aeris measured up. Thanks!

Never used the Mako's but as far as teh holes I think they might help keep water from spilling out sideways. Not sure though. Also, I don't use the dolphin kick because it requires more effort and I burn through air using it. Only time I would use it is if I lost one fin.

I tried the Mako fins for use with my drysuit and returned them as they were too light and flexible; not enough power. I replaced them with the Velocity 3 which work better with the drysuit. The Makos may be fine for wetsuit use.

The whole point of a travel fins is reduced weight and bulk. My spring straps fit them fine but increase weight and bulk.

For me, not entirely. My checked and carry-on weights are usually well below allowed. I don't mind the extra weight of the springs because I find they make my fins easier to put on. Weight of the fins is a consideration but being able to fit them into carry-on suitcase with no performance penalty is key for me.

If you feel you really need to take a spare set of fin straps.....why not put them in your pocket before you get on the plane. No pack, no weight worries.

Back
Top Bottom