Anyone hear of getting kicked out of BOW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am sorry to hear that. I have a LDS by me that is almost the same. Gave me a lot of greif for buying online instead of through them. Now I do not go to them and found another LDS that I go to for repairs and other purchases that I need if I do not buy online. He does not care where I get my equipment from he just likes the business I give him.

:furious:

Sorry thats the closest I could find to a "flame" lol

I would love if someone who know's which shop it is to email or call them and invite their input on the thread... That way we can hear their side of the story.

gecko3s:
I would love if someone who know's which shop it is to email or call them and invite their input on the thread... That way we can hear their side of the story.
I'd love it if we were getting input from the people who got kicked out of the class, too. Insufficient information (NONE of it first hand) has been presented to allow any kind of decision to be made.

People are only infrequently tossed from OW classes. It usually comes down to a couple of factors:
  • they have a medical issue (typically undisclosed in their paperwork) that means they won't be able to dive safely, which becomes apparent in the pool, or;
  • they are disruptive or have an attitude problem that becomes apparent in the pool, or;
  • they have a critical performance issue that is going to keep them from learning to be a safe diver.

It's possible they got kicked out of the class for almost any reason. The fact is that dive shops DO rely upon equipment sales for a significant portion of their profits, if you buy your gear somewhere else you have undermined the relationship with your instructor before you even get started. Nonetheless, I've never heard of anyone being thrown out of a class because they bought their gear somewhere else. I know most of the shops in the Chicago area pretty well and that's not the way they work.

Until more information becomes available, there isn't enough information available here to warrant speculating about the circumstances.

midwayman:
Anyone hear of someone getting kicked out of Basic Open Water after only 90min in the pool? This is after aceing the knowledge tests. Buddy was a little slow and the instructor booted the both of them instead of just one. Circumstances seem a little odd. Just wondering what has to be going wrong to boot someone after such a short in pool time.

I see three possibilities

1. They were not listening to or following the directions of the instructor (OK)

2. They were doing something unsafe and outside of what they were suppose to be doing (OK)

3. They bought their gear from somewhere other than the shop certifying them (NOT OK)

The last one is ridiculous, but I've seen unsavory shop owners do it. These people give the sport a bad name and I wish we could close them all down.

I got thrown out of HEB the other day. Wanted to buy a case of soda they had on sale but didn't want to buy anything else. They explained that soda sale is a loss leader to bring customers into the store so they will buy other things to make the overall transaction profitable. They refused to sell just the soda and told me to leave.
Not even believable, is it?
Unfortunately, with and LDS, whether it be truth or fiction, it is believable.

ghostdiver1957:
The last one is ridiculous, but I've seen unsavory shop owners do it. These people give the sport a bad name and I wish we could close them all down.

I used to work for a couple of shops that had a policy on gear bought over the internet. I kinda look at it like this... BOW is a ticket to buy gear. It is impossible for a LDS to stay open by just teaching BOW classes.

Movie theaters sell popcorn and such at an inflated price because they have a monopoly on popcorn at the theater and can't make money on movies alone. Diveshops are in the same situation, however their popcorn is being sold at a lower rate at other places. One shop that I worked for gave classes for $1 (pre-911) plus cost of books and snorkel gear. If you had gear for somewhere else, the cost went up drastically (sp?). It was up to me as an instructor to convince the person to buy the rest of their gear from us (which was the cheapest on the island).

If the person was kicked out for buying gear elsewhere, well that is kinda wrong... but don't blame a diveshop for trying to make a profit. Without the LDS, where would you fill your tanks?

BTW... I no longer work or teach, I just dive for fun.

Back
Top Bottom