Anyone hear of getting kicked out of BOW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

midwayman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anyone hear of someone getting kicked out of Basic Open Water after only 90min in the pool? This is after aceing the knowledge tests. Buddy was a little slow and the instructor booted the both of them instead of just one. Circumstances seem a little odd. Just wondering what has to be going wrong to boot someone after such a short in pool time.

They probably bought their gear on the internet.

I had a sneaking suspicion that might have something to do with it. What a horrible, unprofessional thing to do to someone.

midwayman:
Anyone hear of someone getting kicked out of Basic Open Water after only 90min in the pool? This is after aceing the knowledge tests. Buddy was a little slow and the instructor booted the both of them instead of just one. Circumstances seem a little odd. Just wondering what has to be going wrong to boot someone after such a short in pool time.

If they were not following directions and behaving unsafe, I could see that.

Something smells fishy though...

Not a lot of details here to draw a conclusion. Is it possible to find out more? For instance the reason the instructor gave?

You generally have to be either totally incompetent or really obnoxious (to the instructor) to get kicked out. BOW is a cake walk and most students who are breathing pass. This is a sad but true reality check.

Well the student was apparently doing okay on the drills in the water, I mean not first time on everything, but within a couple tries getting the skills. The only down point is that the student tooks descents slow because she has ears that dont clear easily. OTOH the instructor deffinately knows she bought gear online. When she picked up her books, etc they asked her about fins, etc and she told them she had already gotten them online. She reported that they made some stink about buying from a LDS.

Thats about all I know since I wasnt there. But I know her well and cant see her ignoring the instructor or displaying the kind of gross incompetance that you'd need to show to get booted in 90min. I mean she swims all the time, and has snorkeled quite a bit before this. So its not a question of someone who just freaks out in water or something.

midwayman:
I had a sneaking suspicion that might have something to do with it. What a horrible, unprofessional thing to do to someone.

Had they bought their equipment on the internet?

What is their story?

Not enough info to really have a clue what could have happened.

Edited:

I didn't read far enough. To bad for everyone (IMO) that she chose to purchase on the internet. But in truth how can you go too wrong with boots, fins, mask and a snorkel, though you can't fit the mask.. OTOH if she had come in giving the impression that she was going to buy them at the LDS, spent the shops time getting them to fit her for everything and then she went and got it online.. I could see how that could miff someone. But is not something that would warrant IMO, expulsion from the class. And what of the second person that was sent away?

Okay simple timeline.
monday- goes in and registers. Buys books and dvd. Shop asks about gear. She says, I already have it. They say "where?". She says "online" They make grumblings about how she better buy the BC, reg, etc from them.

Fri- fins still havent arrived. She asks if she can just rent some for the class. More grumbling, but they agree for $20 a day (yikes!)

Sat- Goes in to do the class (which starts late) Calls and asks me to bring my wetsuit to the shop since they dont have them for the pools class. No big deal I drive down and give it to her (we wear real close to the same size) Its brand new and not from them. Maybe they were eyeing more lost sales? Anyhow we come back from lunch and she's ready to go on time. They dont start for another 45min for some reason, and then boot her after 90 min.

From what I understand, the other lady that got booted (aside from having more issues) also had previous gear she used from snorkeling. The other two students who got to stay bought all their gear at the shop.

Back
Top Bottom