anyone know how to access the C53 wreck as a shore dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rick00001967

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
i am wondering if anyone has done the C53 wreck as a shore dive and was willing to share details on how to access the site. i see it is near chankanaab park but have read it is not clearly marked to be able to see the buoy from shore.
we would prefer to avoid doing it from inside the park if possible. otherwise we might as well do it as a boat dive.
any help appreciated
rick

Bluntly, no. IT is too far from shore, there are currents to deal with and the law does not allow one to Scuba Dive in the Park without a guide--and no sane guide would go out there with you.

All diving there is done from a buoy and down line, off a boat.

Sorry,

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

bummer

With the current running "as normal" if there is such a thing you'd have to enter the water about a mile or so to the south in order to work your way out the right distance by the time you'd get there & hope you can work your way back to shore by the time you reach Paradise Reef where there can be strange currents at times. NOT A WISE thing to try.

If you want to shore dive a wreck, go do the Hilma Hooker in Bonaire. It's a much nicer wreck at that.

If you want to shore dive a wreck, go do the Hilma Hooker in Bonaire. It's a much nicer wreck at that.

that would be a heck of a swim from cozumel :)

that would be a heck of a swim from cozumel :)
That's why you should have a snorkel to conserve tank air during a surface swim.

Yeah def a no on the c53 from shore...pretty strong current going through there and the bouy atleast in December was submerged under the water with like a water bottle on the surface. It would be a heck of a swim and quite frankly a very dangerous one.

i am wondering if anyone has done the C53 wreck as a shore dive

But... why would someone even want to do that?

Quite apart from the very substantial safety concerns* and the fact that it simply wouldn't be legal, I can't imagine that it would in any way be fun and the amount of money one might save by not taking a boat wouldn't seem as if it could possibly make attempting this from shore worthwhile.

Am I missing possible reasons other than trying to avoid expense or thinking it might be a lark?

*it might not be the dumbest thing in the history of dumbness, but it'd be right up there. Several reasons have already been provided.

I'm just trying to picture the aquatic game of Frogger trying to avoid being killed by all the dive boats zipping along between the shore and the site, which one would have to do each direction.

At times currents can be fast enough that without a good DPV you're not going to make any headway against them. At other times it can be quite calm. How do you plan your entry and exit under those conditions (and without knowing the conditions at that moment)?

Back
Top Bottom