anyone know how to access the C53 wreck as a shore dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From that site:
The C-53 lays outside of Balones de Chankanaab, on a sandy plain between Tormentos & Chankanaab.

The dive site is supposed to be marked by a buoy. Sometimes this is simply an overturned plastic bottle.

Best to visit by boat.

Note: It could be done as a shore dive from Chankanaab Park, but it's a long swim ;-)

A long, dangerous, and illegal swim, hence the ";^)". Note that it says nothing about being able to get there from a shore location outside the Marine Park (Chankanaab is in the park). You can indeed dive from within Chankanaab (there are two dive shops there), but you cannot dive there without a guide, and the guide won't take you out to the wreck. Also, once you have paid the entry fee and the dive shop charges, you might as well have gone out on a boat dive.

Misinformation and a bit of a joke.

Note: It could be done as a shore dive from Chankanaab Park, but it's a long swim ;-)
A perfect dive for a shore diving cert. :explanation:

If you get back to shore you pass:wink:!

When we went in December we had the thoughts of snorkeling and was going to go to the beach known as El Cielo. So we drove over to it went down a long horrible dirt road..dont take a car down it...needs to be an SUV or truck only to find a major tourist trap so we turned around extremely quickly.

I've never thought of El Cielo as being accessible by any means other than boat or helicopter. There is literally nothing at all there, so if you found a tourist trap you were not there. It's my single favorite spot on earth, and I spend my daughter's birthday and the anniversary of her death there every year. It's good for sea stars, conch, juvenile angelfish and, I suppose, turtle grass if you're a big fan of that. We've seen turtles and sharks (between us and the beach when we were only knee-deep). It's not a place to find coral or large fish. It's just a really nice, beautiful beach. In the many times we've been, we've never seen another soul there.

You might be thinking of Punta Sur, which does involve a fairly long dirt road. If you hike north along the beach from the farthest you can drive, you eventually hit El Cielo. The road is sometimes pretty bad, sometimes great. We have no difficulty managing it in our little Nissan Note. I sort of like Punta Sur for a beach day now and then. There are some vendors (snorkel gear rental), some loungers, and a shack where you can buy tacos and beer, but I really wouldn't call it a "major tourist trap" by any stretch. It's always seemed pretty sleepy to me.

Went over to the Gulf side where the beaches are and didnt see much worth snorkeling for plus the water seemed a good bit colder over there

Are you sure this was Cozumel? cicopo already pointed out that there is no Gulf side. At its nearest, the Gulf of Mexico is about 80 miles from Cozumel.

I have never tried snorkeling on the east side of the island. You are correct that there's not much worth seeing that would make it worth risking the currents. One goes for the beach and to splash around. Water temperatures always seem pretty much the same everywhere around the island.

you could see the dead corals in the water...black blobs everywhere

I might be misunderstanding what you're saying. Dead coral is usually stark white, isn't it?

:jester:
I've never thought of El Cielo as being accessible by any means other than boat or helicopter. There is literally nothing at all there, so if you found a tourist trap you were not there. It's my single favorite spot on earth, and I spend my daughter's birthday and the anniversary of her death there every year. It's good for sea stars, conch, juvenile angelfish and, I suppose, turtle grass if you're a big fan of that. We've seen turtles and sharks (between us and the beach when we were only knee-deep). It's not a place to find coral or large fish. It's just a really nice, beautiful beach. In the many times we've been, we've never seen another soul there.

You might be thinking of Punta Sur, which does involve a fairly long dirt road. If you hike north along the beach from the farthest you can drive, you eventually hit El Cielo. The road is sometimes pretty bad, sometimes great. We have no difficulty managing it in our little Nissan Note. I sort of like Punta Sur for a beach day now and then. There are some vendors (snorkel gear rental), some loungers, and a shack where you can buy tacos and beer, but I really wouldn't call it a "major tourist trap" by any stretch. It's always seemed pretty sleepy to me.

Are you sure this was Cozumel? cicopo already pointed out that there is no Gulf side. At its nearest, the Gulf of Mexico is about 80 miles from Cozumel.

I have never tried snorkeling on the east side of the island. You are correct that there's not much worth seeing that would make it worth risking the currents. One goes for the beach and to splash around. Water temperatures always seem pretty much the same everywhere around the island.

I might be misunderstanding what you're saying. Dead coral is usually stark white, isn't it?

Why do you have to go and spoil everything with facts, again?:D

Why do you have to go and spoil everything with facts, again?

Sorry. I'm working on that.

cvchief is going to come over and have enough mojitos or Floridita daiquiris* on the terrace with me to kill off a whole lotta facts one these days. Maybe that'll help.

*or, if it keeps being put off until after I retire, probably more like jugs of caña with straws.

Sorry. I'm working on that.

cvchief is going to come over and have enough mojitos or Floridita daiquiris* on the terrace with me to kill off a whole lotta facts one these days. Maybe that'll help.

*or, if it keeps being put off until after I retire, probably more like jugs of caña with straws.

We should bring El Grad along for Factopoloza....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom