Anyone know how to shrink rubber, my TurtleFin Foot Pocket is too big?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jackknife

Reaction score
I need some advice from anyone who has had experience with this particular problem.

IDI Turtle Fins only come in XXXL, well the foot pockets are way too big, and the smallest fin spring straps are still too long, cause my boot is getting swallowed up by the foot pocket.

Is there anyway to shrink the foot pocket? Boil it in water, put it in the over, take a heat gun to it, etc..?

Can someone give me some advice. Thanks.

You can add a liner to your foot pockets to fit your boots fairly easily.

One product that sticks well to rubber is Devcon Flexane 80 castable urethane. It's a bit stiffer than the pocket, but it can be softened with an appropriate additive. You’ll need to make a boot positive to do this route

There is also a hard castable urethane compound called Butter Board used for proofing CNC tool paths that has about the same density as seawater. After proper jigging you can cast an "over boot" to fill the pocket to fit for a few $s. including setup the materials should run under $100 to do both pockets

To see if you want to go this pocket liner route fill the boots with a suitable "foot substitute" and cover them with a thin plastic bag, then line the foot pocket with another plastic bag and set the two together about where you would want the boot to be. Be careful to align the boot with the pocket and keep it centered. Then fill the space between the plastic bags with "Great Stuff" expanding urethane foam calking compound from Home Depot and let it set for a couple days to fully cure before removing the boots. The buoyancy of this stuff will be way off of optimal but a couple short dives with these temporary pocket liners will tell you if you want to expend the $s & effort to get the correct stuff to make a permanent pocket liner.

Of course the other option is to buy a set of suitably sized fins

IDI also has a large and XL fins sized about the same as the equivalent sized Scubapro jet fins. They won't have the blade area of the turtles, but the foot pocket will fit. BTW unless you get the foot pocket on the turtles to fit YOUR boot your finning efficiency will be way below optimal.

FT

some boots while being the right size for u internally are physically bigger outside, like the oceanic air classic.

with these i can use the fins i use with rock boots if i wanna dive wet...

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'm going to look into a foot pocket liner. I ordered a pair of those fancy spring fin strap replacements that I cut down, due to frustration, because even the smallest size was too big. But guess what they fit the fins on tight now, after cutting off 20 coils. But the issue now, is that there is a tad bit left of play, going left and right, I know that could affect performance. I hope the pocket works.

Not unless the pocket would compress underwater like neoprene on a wetsut.

Jackknife once bubbled...
Not unless the pocket would compress underwater like neoprene on a wetsut.
Nope - it doesn't - I have exactly the same problem as you - Turtle fins too big for drysuit boot - dived them on the weekend and it was like having rudders on your feet. First time ScubaBoard advice has let me down :(

I also thought about covering the drysuit boot with a plastic bag and filling in the excess space with some type of foam or sealant, but will probably just shop around for some more optimal fins.

There are neverending uses for that stuff....why not give it a try?

I guess I don't get it...the right fins for wetsuit booties and smaller/integrated drysuit boots are Scubapro jetfins. If you have rockboots or big feet, Turtles fit the bill.

Is this a weird situation where XL jetfins are too small yet turtles are too big? I don't get it..why mess with a foot pocket that could potentially cost as much as a set of jets ($65 from LP)?? Not to mention you may ruin your turtles in the process! If you have no use for them, ebay them and get some jets..

I use Seasoft Boots, they are like tennis shoes. Awesome booty's. I do a lot of surf/rock entries and love these when stepping on a rock. Those thin booties suck, and will never use them for that reason.

Because of this, my feet and boot will not fit in an XL pair of Jet fins, I like Jet Fins but they will not fit my feet with my boots on. Turtle fins are nice, but IDI needs to get it together, I don't see why they can't make an XL pair of Turtles that would may a lot of people happy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom